Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Italy moves to ban drivers 80+

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The problem as well is a lot has changed since most older people have gotten there licences. Let's not forgot 60 or so years ago car's were no where near as big or powerful as they are now. Also traffic has increased, road rules have changed etc,

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
bout time all we need is for our goverment to do the same but make it 60 not 80

Not all 60 y/o people are bad drivers. My granddad is 73 and is one of the safest drivers I know. He knows all his road rules, does the speed limit and can drive a hell of a lot better than most of the 20 y/o males I've seen driving around.

I would def agree with 80 y/o drivers being banned or at the very least having to pass a driving test to keep their license.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Retesting after a certain age to ascertain competence, sure but not arbitrarily ban at a particular age. There are many competent elderly drivers. No, their reactions aren't going to be as sharp as someone in the prime of youth but they don't have the recklessness of youth either.

Licencing based on tested competence please.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Put it this way - If you couldn't trust the person in question, be it for eyesight, reflexes, whatever - to be your wingman in a gun fight or at the bar, then take their license off them. Cars are more deadly that guns or girls. /wink :)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
People who tailgate are genewrally tailgating because the old fart doing 70 in a 100 zone is blocking mergers, not indicating and keeping right when not overtaking.

I'd rather see corolla drivers banned myself :p At the start of every long chain of cars on the great ocean road is a bloody corolla or camry :p

Nah, it's the hero/wannabe Ken Block WRX drivers people should be worried about, Corolla drivers ain't hurting nobody.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I love these threads. Young)(er) drivers slagging off at the old farts.

I agree that many old(er) drivers are incompetent, irrational or just plain stupid and shouldn't be allowed near a driver's seat, but when all you young(er) drivers eventually reach that age (if you do), I wonder how you would react to being told you were no longer fit to drive?

The elderly "generally" are aware of their limitations and drive accordingly. The problem is, they are self-immersed and blissfully unaware of the effect their presence on the road is having on other road users. They don't mean to get up your nose, they just lack the confidence, reflexes or physical ability to drive as briskly as they used to. I agree that the standards of driver testing for all ages is deplorable, and that older drivers should undergo much more stringent medical and driver ability testing, but that can apply to most age groups, particularly when it comes to attitude, skill, reaction times and knowledge of the rules.

Age-based testing at 60 is a bit harsh. I think 70 onwards is more appropriate, with annual tests of medical condition, rules knowledge and driver ability. Perhaps doctors should also be compelled to provide medical reports to the traffic authorities when a patient of any age has any medical condition that can lead to an accident, instead of the present system which is too lenient.

And a note to Minux - re his long queues held up by Camry's or Corollas - chances are more than even that it will be an old fart driving anyway - they just looooove Toyota's!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
And a note to Minux - re his long queues held up by Camry's or Corollas - chances are more than even that it will be an old fart driving anyway - they just looooove Toyota's!

Awww... now I feel old :(

PS - Good to see you back Calaber ;)

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
All i repeat all of the senior drivers i have come across whilst in italy can handle themselves very well. i don't at all think there should be an outright ban on drivers over eighty, just impose more testing to ascertain whether they are competent enough to drive safely. A lot of people over here are unhappy with the way the government does things, i think this will just add to their grief. The Alpha driver whom overtook me on a blind corner at high speed (narrowly missing being cleaned up) is the one that should be taken off the road.

Maci

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Statesman
Age-based testing at 60 is a bit harsh. I think 70 onwards is more appropriate, with annual tests of medical condition, rules knowledge and driver ability.
my grandparents just recieved a letter in the mail saying they both had to go to their doctor and get medical proof that they are fit to drive. they are both just over 70.

the "driving ban" should be on ability, not age.