Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I've stuffed the car - help needed urgently!

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ok, so today I decided to change my accelerator pedal and it turned into a huge job - I had to remove half of the dashboard including unclipping and moving the "body control module" out of the way (I DIDN'T UNPLUG IT!).

After removing the old accelerator pedal and replacing it, I put everything back in its place and started the car.

It's giving me an error message saying "SAFETY MODE - PERFORMANCE REDUCED" followed by "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" and it's sluggish and won't rev past 4,000rpm! :cry:

Do I have to pay my retarded Holden dealership to fix this??? :bang:

HELP!!!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The poor car has logged an error code of some sort. Have you bumped a sensor?

I'm guessing here but the peddle in the VZ is electronic so I'd suspect that the sensor has come a gutser some how.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
which pedal did you replace it with, i have heard that the ss pedal with the silver pedal will not work correctly with the v6's,

also was the battery disconnected when you removed the pedal, i think the pedal may sort of active when the ignition is off, the throttle also fully working the the key is on the accessories

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
which pedal did you replace it with, i have heard that the ss pedal with the silver pedal will not work correctly with the v6's,

also was the battery disconnected when you removed the pedal, i think the pedal may sort of active when the ignition is off, the throttle also fully working the the key is on the accessories

I was assured it would work with an alloytec... The car is responding to accelerator, it's just in "safety mode"... I didn't think I would need to disconnect the battery but now I wish I had... :(

I have to drive this car now for two days with no balls... :bang:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Can it be reset by pulling the main fuse like in the VN?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

I doubt that it's related to the pedal being removed and the ignition on. When I was running the power wire in my VZ SS I had the pedal assembly off and turned the car to "On" to wind up the windows, and it threw a SVS warning, but when I reconnected the pedal again and started her all the warnings had cleared and she was sweet.

I wonder if he hasn't broken a wire, or dislodged the connector to the BCM when moving it around?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
hmm did you try disconnecting the battery at all, dislodged wiring is possible but im sure ive seen it done and it didnt work,

was the assurance it would work from a holden dealer or the guy you bought it off.

crewzincool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-V6/2005 SV6
ive noticed that my 05 sv6 auto only revs to 4 grand when in neutral... but revs higher on the road

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
ive noticed that my 05 sv6 auto only revs to 4 grand when in neutral... but revs higher on the road
Thats standard, probably to stop people thinking that they can do a burn out by revving the hell out of it and dumping it into drive.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
where did you buy the pedal from and is it for a manual?

Ive had this exact same thing. I brought a pedal for a manual SS and installed that into my auto acclaim with the 175kw. Same issue, safety mode, it brings up about 7 different errors when you start up, doesnt shift from 1st very easily yadda yadda yadda.

If your not sure - remove the pedal completely to check.

The box bit on the pedal where the car plugs into the pedal itself has some torx bits from memory, remove them so you can take the cover off.

The manual pedal says something to the effect of Holden Gen III whereas the autos just say Holden on the PCB breadboard.

If this is the case I just swapped the pedal and shaft themselves. The shaft comes out of the board completely and easily, I cant remember how its held in but its fairly straight forward and you'll understand when you see it.

I would suggest taking out the SS pedal to pull apart first so you understand coz if you break something at least you have the original pedal to put back in. Once you put the original pedal back in (or the original box bit back in) the error goes away,

If you have a manual pedal for an auto Holden will charge you at least an hour labour to diagnose, then tell you sorry this pedal isnt compatible with this car, pay 300 bucks for a new one.

Also the easiest way to take it out without removing half the dash and BCM is to remove the plastic bracket that the pedal is screwed too. It uses 4x smallish nuts, just get a long reach socket. Cant remember the size, its about a 8 or 10 mm or something. Undo the 4x nuts and the whole yellowish bracket comes out. Then just unscrew the 2 bolts that hold the pedal on while its outside the car. Then theres no need to be near the BCM. Its a bit fiddly but Ive done it to a few VZ's now.

Good luck :thumbsup: