Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

jaycar speedo correction kit or memcal?

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Iv complectly forgotten about the speed when im changing to 3.45 from 3.08s. Whats the best way to go? A jaycar kit or memcal due to them being roughly the same price. Had a search around its all related to vn/vp which alsio does nit answer my question.

Cheers

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Pretty sure you need both aye.

Memcal fixes the shift points and the speedo corrector kit fixes the speedo. You can't fix the speedo with a memcal.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Yeah, but I dont think the ecu changes the signal. Because when I converted my VS to manual the VSS signal went from the VSS sensor to the dash cluster.

I read on someones ride thread, think it was someguy360's weekend/track car thread. He got the memcal but found out he still needed the corrector kit.

If I were you I would just get the memcal first and see how it goes, because you will need that to change the shift points, but then if you get the speedo corrector kit it will change the shift points again and you will have to modify the loom or have another chip made.

Ahhrg confusing stuff.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Theres 2 on Ebay. Unsure on the first one. But second one seems legit.. Look into it man.

Dont Punch Rocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS s3 s pac ute + v6 s2 calais sc6
Sorry to hijack the thread, but if it was manual, would you only need the corrector kit and tap in before the ecu?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive adjusted VSV6 tunes before for guys who have changed diff ratios, and the speed sensor ratio is what needs to be adjusted in the tune.. This will fix both the speedo reading and the auto trans shifts, as the speedometer uses the speed sensor pulses, and the auto trans,(via the ECU), also uses the speed sensor pulses to help control its shifts, so adjusting the speed sensor pulse ratio effects both the speedo reading and the trans shifts. In earlier model tunes Ive heard it was called PPK (Pulses Per Km).. The standard speed sensor ratio for a VSV6 with 3.08 ratio diff is 42.04. Ive adjusted this value to around 51.?? or 52.?? to get the correct setting for a 3.5:1 ratio diff. Ive got a formula somewhere I downloaded that you can use to get this value spot on for whatever diff ratio your using...

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This can be adjusted by whoever does your tune, or you can keep a standard tune and just get the ratio adjusted. Let me know if you cant find anyone else to do it..

Last edited: