Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Interesting, if they bothered to set a minimum age, they really should have added a maximum age too. 70 sounds perfect, can't be older than 70 when sworn into office. Who knows, when these laws were written people probably didn't regularly make it such an age.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Interesting, if they bothered to set a minimum age, they really should have added a maximum age too. 70 sounds perfect, can't be older than 70 when sworn into office. Who knows, when these laws were written people probably didn't regularly make it such an age.
Average age in Australia is 38.3 years old, yet over 70% of parliament is beyond that.
I hate that all these world leaders are out of touch dinosaurs.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Fun fact: Did you know that no one under half the age of seventy can qualify to be president of the USA?

I would set it at 75 but yes - there should be an upper limit IMO.

Average age in Australia is 38.3 years old, yet over 70% of parliament is beyond that.
I hate that all these world leaders are out of touch dinosaurs.

I agree with the sentiment but would be very unlikely to vote for anybody younger than their mid 30s due to lack of life experience. The problem IMO with Australia is the pathway seems to be via the union movement/government jobs of some form and adviser/staffer of previous mp's. Very few have actual real world experience either managing people/business in private enterprise where dipping into an endless pit of money (aka taxes) is simply not an option making ends meet every month. The problem is those with experience in private enterprise are too smart to want to go into politics although I suspect many (me for one) would be most likely to vote for them

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

I agree with the sentiment but would be very unlikely to vote for anybody younger than their mid 30s due to lack of life experience. The problem IMO with Australia is the pathway seems to be via the union movement/government jobs of some form and adviser/staffer of previous mp's. Very few have actual real world experience either managing people/business in private enterprise where dipping into an endless pit of money (aka taxes) is simply not an option making ends meet every month. The problem is those with experience in private enterprise are too smart to want to go into politics although I suspect many (me for one) would be most likely to vote for them
Yep case in point of our previous state leader, straight from university to the Labor offices having never worked an actual job in his life.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

75 is too high, if you are 75 when sworn in that makes it 79 by the end of a 4 year term. Unless you stipulate you can't exceed 74yo during the term?

Before Mr26 decided to go into Paramedicine he completed all but the last semester of a economics degree, something he really loved but gave it up because the reality was to follow through in such a field pushes you towards politics and he had no interest in that ****!

The NZ police have the same issue, When I was at school the cops came around during the careers day and said they weren't interested in hiring people straight out of school. Get a job and some life experience and apply in a few years. Now cops are recruiting straight out of high school.....

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I reckon it takes a certain type of person and personality to be a good police officer. They ideally want people who can walk in to a heated situation and cool it down. So, natural diplomacy/peacemaking attitude over a gung-ho do-as-I-say-or-else attitude.

I suspect that there is a bit of irony in the types of people the police forces attract. Many who want to be in the police force probably shouldn’t be there. And the people who don’t want to be in the police force are probably the people who should be there.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yep case in point of our previous state leader, straight from university to the Labor offices having never worked an actual job in his life.
Pretty much sums up most of the current State / Federal Labor politicians.
I think that Gough's 'comrades' were about the last of the generation that had a bit more life experience than school > uni > trade union official > pollie > board member > retirement > advisor to all and sundry on how the world should work.