Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Surely the funds the government collects and generates would be much better pumped into social projects rather than making those at the top perpetually wealthy?

Or do we just attack the low hanging fruit of "capitalists" who have exploited a need in the market and made themselves wealthy through something other than extorting money at risk of imprisonment from every citizen in the country?
How do I have a proper debate on this? You seem to be proposing that the money politicians make is seriously impinging on the government budget and they don’t spend money on social programs because the politicians take the lions share for themselves.

There are 151 members of the federal House of Representatives so even if every single one of them was getting $1 million dollars each (and they are not) thats still only $151 million. Hardly a drop in the bucket vs the federal budget.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I love deflection. It makes a debate last so much longer:)

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Have just seen a photo of Jacinda Ardern in the NZ Herald. She looks fantastic. The weight of running NZ certainly took it's toll. I have followed NZ politics since the early sixties and without a doubt would say she has been the best Prime Minister that NZ has ever had.

To you poor working class people I feel so sad the the next NZ Government will be likely be National/Act with perhaps NZ First. They will deal to you the first chance they get. They have done it before.

Remember it's only three hours away to here.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
To you poor working class people I feel so sad the the next NZ Government will be likely be National/Act with perhaps NZ First. They will deal to you the first chance they get. They have done it before.

… and all you NZers are very welcome to come here.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's just a shame about the heat, the deadly creatures and .....

Have just seen a photo of Jacinda Ardern in the NZ Herald. She looks fantastic. The weight of running NZ certainly took it's toll. I have followed NZ politics since the early sixties and without a doubt would say she has been the best Prime Minister that NZ has ever had.

It's not looking good but it won't be the first time, hopefully it only lasts one term.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
It's just a shame about the heat, the deadly creatures and .....

It's not looking good but it won't be the first time, hopefully it only lasts one term.
The heat, you get used to it. I go for a walk in 30 degrees and think nothing of it Over 40 I feel the heat and stay inside though those days are rare. When we first came here 27 was killing me. Deadly creatures, yes they exist. I haven't seen a snake for years and not all are deadly. Snakes don't like short grass so we don't have a problem there. Crocodiles at the zoo. Cane toads, the dog barks at them before daddy sends them to meet jesus.

The supposed coalition of National, Act and NZ first is a recipe for disaster. Peters will see to that. I don't think it will be long before another election will be held.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It is interesting though that a few weeks ago the polls said National/Act had the numbers to go at it alone but now that people have had time to digest their tax plans they seemed to have peaked and NZ First has come up, both Act and National have dropped but the Greens are seeing a slight gain. People are starting to realize that National/Act alone or trouble and are going to get NZ First in there to act as a hand brake much like they did to Labour in their first term.

Luxon keeps talking about 5 years and not getting anything done but the first 3 were with NZ first and they truly were a hand brake, then throw in the Christchurch shootings, the worst Pandemic in over a century and few other things and it was probably the worst time to govern since the end of WW1 and possibly during WW2.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
we are free to discuss anything political we want.

Debate something that’s actually important. Like I said government pensions are neither here nor there.

As I said before, It’s the political thread and we can discuss what we want.

And as I said before. You're quite free to scroll on by if you don't feel a topic is worthy of your discussion or input. Not hard to do.

But since it's taken you a couple of days to actually come around to the topic let's finally talk about it
How do I have a proper debate on this? You seem to be proposing that the money politicians make is seriously impinging on the government budget and they don’t spend money on social programs because the politicians take the lions share for themselves.

Nope.
There are 151 members of the federal House of Representatives so even if every single one of them was getting $1 million dollars each (and they are not) thats still only $151 million. Hardly a drop in the bucket vs the federal budget.
Still not the point. I even said the amount they get wasn't a problem but a method of increasing their incentive to be accountable with our money while in a position to make decisions,a dollar value that would always be far in excess of even giving them each $1m surely isn't a negative thing?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Still not the point. I even said the amount they get wasn't a problem but a method of increasing their incentive to be accountable with our money while in a position to make decisions,a dollar value that would always be far in excess of even giving them each $1m surely isn't a negative thing?
It would be useful if they had some kind of KPI system to make their pay partially dependent on the performance of the government in servicing the people.

Of course they would never agree to such a thing and if they did agree to it then it wouldn’t be long before it was corrupted to give themselves millions of dollars regardless, just like what happens in the private sector with CEOs now.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
It would be useful if they had some kind of KPI system to make their pay partially dependent on the performance of the government in servicing the people.

Agreed
Of course they would never agree to such a thing and if they did agree to it then it wouldn’t be long before it was corrupted to give themselves millions of dollars regardless, just like what happens in the private sector with CEOs now.
Also agreed.