Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
More the fact that the two ‘old fart’ user names always manage to weave an anti lnp comment in even when it’s not the topic at hand.
As for talk back radio, do people actually listen to the drivel?

Apparently.

Our new PM decided to drop his "entitlement" after hearing the backlash on talkback radio. He still does not understand why the backlash occurred because he's "entitled" but saw it as a distraction even though he's "entitled" so decided to drop the "entitlement" and payback the sum his "entitlement" had already been paid to him.

I don't listen to talk back because the main host is openly biased toward the current government and he's another rich opinionated prick that has little in common with the working folk.

It's either The Rock or Hauraki (for the classic rock).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Just to weigh in on the gender balance in the workplace comments. In the past I would have agreed with the ‘best person for the job’ manta, but I now realise that it is not that simple. Even worse, I realise my workplace behaviour was actually contributing to the imbalance without me being aware.

Let me give an example. I managed a section that had lots of technical staff (engineers, technicians and trades staff). The trades staff were typical old school so they were mostly older, white, and male. When we needed a new staff member, there were processes that needed to be followed (this was a big organisation). The trade staff supervisors had a lot of trouble navigating the system and the processes and procedures required to initiate the recruitment processes. So I would walk them through the steps (and forms) but I’d get the comments about paperwork ‘not being their job’ and something about the system being bureaucratic. Anyway, I‘d try and show them how to navigate the system and what’s required. It was quite a lot of ‘hand holding’ all through the various steps (flagging a new position, developing a position description, setting an appropriate classification, adverting, selection panel, interviewing, etc.). There was no way they could have done it themselves, but that wouldn’t stop them complaining all the way through the various steps of process. And from my perspective, it wasn’t a particularly pleasant task. I was actually helping them and showing them the ropes, and all I seemed to get was negative comments. So, I tended to hand things back to them when I figured that we had the system satisfied. This was the point where we had done the interviews and had a shortlist of suitable candidates. I’d leave it to the trades supervisors to pick the final successful candidate. My reasoning at the time is that (a) I had done my management bit and ensured that due processes were followed, and (b) I wanted to give the workers some say and ownership in the appointment.

This is where I now realise that I was actually making my mistake and perpetuating the culture. The older, white, males were always going to pick another older white male (or perhaps a younger white male) to ‘fit in’ to the workplace. The culture, and gender imbalance, would never change (let alone, all those other imbalances).

I think that we actually needed to do something different. One idea could be to randomly pick someone from the ‘suitable candidate pool’ rather than a ‘good fit’ to the existing team. But this also has some issues too as the new worker also needs to feel like they fit. So, while I can see the arguments against ‘quotas’, I do think that the balance issue needs active intervention (rather than just good intentions). I do think that the workplace will ultimately benefit from a better cultural balance, but it will be quite a challenging and rocky road to achieving that equity.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm so disappointed, you can only view the comments on Rumble if you are a member but I guess they really do need to hide the comments lest people realize the true mental prowess of said commentators.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Just to weigh in on the gender balance in the workplace comments. In the past I would have agreed with the ‘best person for the job’ manta, but I now realise that it is not that simple. Even worse, I realise my workplace behaviour was actually contributing to the imbalance without me being aware.

Let me give an example. I managed a section that had lots of technical staff (engineers, technicians and trades staff). The trades staff were typical old school so they were mostly older, white, and male. When we needed a new staff member, there were processes that needed to be followed (this was a big organisation). The trade staff supervisors had a lot of trouble navigating the system and the processes and procedures required to initiate the recruitment processes. So I would walk them through the steps (and forms) but I’d get the comments about paperwork ‘not being their job’ and something about the system being bureaucratic. Anyway, I‘d try and show them how to navigate the system and what’s required. It was quite a lot of ‘hand holding’ all through the various steps (flagging a new position, developing a position description, setting an appropriate classification, adverting, selection panel, interviewing, etc.). There was no way they could have done it themselves, but that wouldn’t stop them complaining all the way through the various steps of process. And from my perspective, it wasn’t a particularly pleasant task. I was actually helping them and showing them the ropes, and all I seemed to get was negative comments. So, I tended to hand things back to them when I figured that we had the system satisfied. This was the point where we had done the interviews and had a shortlist of suitable candidates. I’d leave it to the trades supervisors to pick the final successful candidate. My reasoning at the time is that (a) I had done my management bit and ensured that due processes were followed, and (b) I wanted to give the workers some say and ownership in the appointment.

This is where I now realise that I was actually making my mistake and perpetuating the culture. The older, white, males were always going to pick another older white male (or perhaps a younger white male) to ‘fit in’ to the workplace. The culture, and gender imbalance, would never change (let alone, all those other imbalances).

I think that we actually needed to do something different. One idea could be to randomly pick someone from the ‘suitable candidate pool’ rather than a ‘good fit’ to the existing team. But this also has some issues too as the new worker also needs to feel like they fit. So, while I can see the arguments against ‘quotas’, I do think that the balance issue needs active intervention (rather than just good intentions). I do think that the workplace will ultimately benefit from a better cultural balance, but it will be quite a challenging and rocky road to achieving that equity.
In most workplaces do we need a cultural balance?

In the past I've had full teams of white, anglo workers. The current team consists of 4 white anglo, 2 from South Asia, 1 from Central Asia, 1 from the middle east and 1 from Europe/Mediterranean.

Nothing has changed or improved, we output the same quality and quantity of work because I've employed based on what they bring to the team not what gender, race or religion they are.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
I'm so disappointed, you can only view the comments on Rumble if you are a member but I guess they really do need to hide the comments lest people realize the true mental prowess of said commentators.

What else would we expect from an income source for MAGA conspiracy grifters?

"Rumble is an online video platform, web hosting and cloud services business headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, with its U.S. headquarters in Longboat Key, Florida. It was founded in 2013 by Chris Pavlovski, a Canadian technology entrepreneur. Rumble's cloud services business hosts Truth Social, and the video platform is popular among American right and far-right users."

"Along with four other tabs in its main interface, Rumble features "recommended channels" to follow and an "Earnings" tab in its interface. Rumble also allows its users to generate revenue from their videos. Users upload videos that are licensed to Rumble's partners, such as Yahoo! and Microsoft News, after which money made from those videos is directly deposited into the Rumble account of the user."

"Most of Rumble's 200 most prominent accounts at that time were run by individuals, 22% of whom had been banned from other social media platforms. 55% of these prominent accounts also had accounts on other websites such as YouTube. A June 2022 review of posts by Pew Research from Rumble's 200 most prominent accounts found that 49% had posted about guns or gun rights, 48% had posted about abortion, 44% had posted about LGBTQ topics (specifically the LGBT grooming conspiracy theory), 42% had posted about the January 6 Capitol attack, and 26% had posted about extreme vaccine skepticism."

Marty351 uses his head to to scrub public toilets, then wonders why some of us say we think his haircut stinks?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
What else would we expect from an income source for MAGA conspiracy grifters?

"Rumble is an online video platform, web hosting and cloud services business headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, with its U.S. headquarters in Longboat Key, Florida. It was founded in 2013 by Chris Pavlovski, a Canadian technology entrepreneur. Rumble's cloud services business hosts Truth Social, and the video platform is popular among American right and far-right users."

"Along with four other tabs in its main interface, Rumble features "recommended channels" to follow and an "Earnings" tab in its interface. Rumble also allows its users to generate revenue from their videos. Users upload videos that are licensed to Rumble's partners, such as Yahoo! and Microsoft News, after which money made from those videos is directly deposited into the Rumble account of the user."

"Most of Rumble's 200 most prominent accounts at that time were run by individuals, 22% of whom had been banned from other social media platforms. 55% of these prominent accounts also had accounts on other websites such as YouTube. A June 2022 review of posts by Pew Research from Rumble's 200 most prominent accounts found that 49% had posted about guns or gun rights, 48% had posted about abortion, 44% had posted about LGBTQ topics (specifically the LGBT grooming conspiracy theory), 42% had posted about the January 6 Capitol attack, and 26% had posted about extreme vaccine skepticism."

[/URL]

Marty351 uses his head to to scrub public toilets, then wonders why some of us say we think his haircut stinks?
So it’s no different than YouTube but allows conservative topics to be discussed?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have no issues with people discussing conservative topics but when they stray into outright lies and conspiracies that have been disproven I draw the line and unfortunately that is what we see predominantly on sites like Rumble.

Fairly much most of what has been seen on this site that has been linked from Rumble and similar sites has been complete nonsense. It's hard to take anything seriously from them.