Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And when a company makes a loss does the CEO hand back a lot of cash because he did a **** job?
Our gov't was talking about trying to claw back a heap of bonus money Alan Joyce got for doing a crap job at the helm of Qantas but it fizzled out.

Prick he was...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Both provide power but only 1 provides 99.9% (or there abouts) reliable uptime. Both base load (constant up time) and wind/solar are required and have their place.

No base load is required if there is sufficient storage capacity. It is possible to get there without nuclear and seeing as nuclear is hideously expensive and we’ve left it far to late for nuclear to be part of the equation we should just get on with what needs to be done.

There is a shite load of work to do and a lot of nuance in how it happens but if the right (technical) people are allowed to do their jobs and politicians stay out of it (or follow the advice from the right people) we should get there.

https://aemo.com.au/energy-systems/major-publications/renewable-integration-study-ris

On this one I'm with you. I don't see you spreading fear. Just mis-information and ill conceived ideas.

So what have I said about nuclear power that’s incorrect or misinformation? It is hideously expensive and we’ve left it far too late to make it part of our toolkit to get to net zero by 2050.

Yes we have. Just because something exists in a place you don't particularly like doesn't mean it ceases to be. I have nfi where you got the notion anybody was suggesting we fundamentally change our system of government. I'd love to hear how you came to that conclusion.

The point is that SMRs aren’t a viable option when the only countries producing them are countries we would never import an SMR from.

For all intents and purposes they don’t exist in a way that we can actually use them, yet certain sectors of the media are portraying that SMRs are a viable option in the hear and now, which is disingenuous.

Importing SMRs from either Russia or China would be about as likely as us changing our system of government to theirs so the whole SMR discussion is a non starter and shouldn’t even be a discussion point until one is actually commercially available in the west to buy and use.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
From what I have seen, there is a lot of nuclear waste stored poorly because no-one has come up with a permanent solution or locations so although no known big accidents, plenty of opportunity for leakage/contamination and other nasty things to potentially happen that might not make it into the public domain.

There has been permanent storage solutions available, it’s just that politics nearly always gets involved to stop it from happening.

Just look at the US where they would rather store their nuclear waste spread out all over the country in above ground sites close to populated areas than put them in the Yucca Mountain repository because politics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain_nuclear_waste_repository

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Politics, definitely the problem!

But then so is the reason for having so much waste to begin with.

Politicians (good for nothing).

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
And when a company makes a loss does the CEO hand back a lot of cash because he did a **** job?

No, I don't believe in huge bonus's for CEO's (especially when it's in the form of share options), they only set policy and direction, most of the time it is the people below the CEO that do all the hard work.

That is utter BS, the CEO makes sure **** gets done.
And to your point about paying money back, well you answered your own question, as quite a fair amount of the bonus is usually in stocks, if they fail the stock price will fall.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A bonus - for doing their job?

Yes, this might sound foreign to you but people who make their worth known get that, I get a monthly bonus.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
From what I have seen, there is a lot of nuclear waste stored poorly because no-one has come up with a permanent solution or locations so although no known big accidents, plenty of opportunity for leakage/contamination and other nasty things to potentially happen that might not make it into the public domain.

The US and other Western nations have put a lot of effort into the safe transportation of nuclear waste. I've seen tests where they run a locomotive into a nuclear transportation container.

This statement proves your ignorance on the subject.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Bonuses are good when they are tied to clear performance objectives. A lot of the time though with CEOs it doesn’t seem to be tied to clear performance metrics. How many times have we heard about some CEO leaving a company in disgrace yet still getting a golden parachute.

Lets look at Qantas, Joyce made something like a 100,000,000 profit, so he got a 22,000,000 bonus from memory. How is that not tied to their performance?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Lets look at Qantas, Joyce made something like a 100,000,000 profit, so he got a 22,000,000 bonus from memory. How is that not tied to their performance?

Joyce screwed qantas over. The gov't was talking about recouping his outrageous bonus when he quit but didn't proceed

Remember anything about him having to appear before a commission but gave the middle finger citing he had to look after his mother in Ireland...

Got the rose coloured glasses on again I see

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Joyce screwed qantas over. The gov't was talking about recouping his outrageous bonus when he quit but didn't proceed

Remember anything about him having to appear before a commission but gave the middle finger citing he had to look after his mother in Ireland...

Got the rose coloured glasses on again I see

No actually you have the glasses on.

Let me let you in on a little secret, no one else knows, Qantas is privately owned, so the government can't compel them to do anything.

Welcome to the 90's old timer.