Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
My parents are married 37 years - no counselling has been sought but by #### at times I think it'd really help

If you need to see a therapist for whatever issue, chances are you will need more than one session anyway to really sort the problem out.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There is no clause in immigration law that I know of that says 'oh by the way if they destroyed their documents enroute such persons are illegal'.

It may be illegal to destroy personal documentation under their original countries law. It is illegal to destroy an Australian passport intentionally but if you just 'leave it behind' is technically not destroying and as such not illegal. Not sure about the laws of asylum seekers home countries.

That being said at least 20% do turn up with documentation. However there is no data available of the remaining 80% if they had any documentation in the first place, or it was lost/damaged intentionally/unintentionally.

It may be dangerous to make the journey by sea but it may also be dangerous to stay at home, or to stay in a refugee camp. A minority may tamper with boats to hasten a rescue - don't know why they do that, if they are floating about in our waters they'd get intercepted anyway.

That does not answer the question "why?"

For those who deliberately or "unintentionally" lose their documents, it would appear that they do so AFTER entering Indonesia, otherwise, entry would not be permitted into that country in the first place. So, we should assume that nearly if not all of those joining boats from Indonesian ports had their documents up to or shortly before the time of departure.

So, they get rid of them. Why would they do that unless it was on the advice of the people smugglers. And, given the history of those miserable bastards, isn't it likely that it's just another one of the ploys used to assist the "asylum" claim, because I'm damned if I can see any valid reason for losing such important documents. Of course, there IS another reason - the person losing the passport has a criminal history or is a "person of interest" to our authorities and would never be allowed to enter Australian, one way or the other.....

Of course, IF they are being permitted to enter Indonesia without passports,etc, that raises serious questions about how serious the Indonesians are about controlling this trade.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
That does not answer the question "why?"

For those who deliberately or "unintentionally" lose their documents, it would appear that they do so AFTER entering Indonesia, otherwise, entry would not be permitted into that country in the first place. So, we should assume that nearly if not all of those joining boats from Indonesian ports had their documents up to or shortly before the time of departure.

So, they get rid of them. Why would they do that unless it was on the advice of the people smugglers. And, given the history of those miserable bastards, isn't it likely that it's just another one of the ploys used to assist the "asylum" claim, because I'm damned if I can see any valid reason for losing such important documents. Of course, there IS another reason - the person losing the passport has a criminal history or is a "person of interest" to our authorities and would never be allowed to enter Australian, one way or the other.....

Of course, IF they are being permitted to enter Indonesia without passports,etc, that raises serious questions about how serious the Indonesians are about controlling this trade.

Latter idea is plausible. In terms of general law enforcement Indonesia is 100% shonky brothers. OTOH they went to Indonesia to claim asylum, then moved on to a boat to claim asylum in Australia, at which point Indonesia said 'you little beauty, not our issue now'.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
My parents are married 37 years - no counselling has been sought but by #### at times I think it'd really help

If you need to see a therapist for whatever issue, chances are you will need more than one session anyway to really sort the problem out.

A free visit gives the "marriage educator" a foot in the door to sell more of their services. That's the only reason for it that I can see because one visit will accomplish nothing.. Maybe they should be looking in other directions because isn't finances, or rather lack of them or the lack of budgeting skills, why most marriages break up?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Based on people I know whose marriages have broken up, reasons are varied. One partner may just turn out to be an awful human being, there may be infidelity, addiction, depression that the suffer had no wish to address, and just getting married because the woman was knocked up (i.e. out of 'necessity' rather than love).

Money could be a reason some marriages break up but a money problem is often a symptom of another deeper issue, i.e. you cannot solve a money problem by having more money.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
A free visit gives the "marriage educator" a foot in the door to sell more of their services. That's the only reason for it that I can see because one visit will accomplish nothing.. Maybe they should be looking in other directions because isn't finances, or rather lack of them or the lack of budgeting skills, why most marriages break up?

Valid point that one visit ($200 per visit?) won't really achieve much. Tonight's news tended to suggest that it was aimed at newly weds rather than long relationships. If that's the case, then I would think it is a particularly poor idea. Actually, I can't see any point in the suggestion at all.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Valid point that one visit ($200 per visit?) won't really achieve much. Tonight's news tended to suggest that it was aimed at newly weds rather than long relationships. If that's the case, then I would think it is a particularly poor idea. Actually, I can't see any point in the suggestion at all.

A good city based clinical mental health professional (psychologist/psychotherapist/psychiatrist) is $200 an hour. However if you want to see a theapist, be prepared to wait, there is an immense shortage of them. There's another reason why idea won't work - not enough mental health infrastructure.Young couples who might not have any problems will take appointments away from those that actually do have serious problems.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Based on people I know whose marriages have broken up, reasons are varied. One partner may just turn out to be an awful human being, there may be infidelity, addiction, depression that the suffer had no wish to address, and just getting married because the woman was knocked up (i.e. out of 'necessity' rather than love).

Money could be a reason some marriages break up but a money problem is often a symptom of another deeper issue, i.e. you cannot solve a money problem by having more money.

Just what I heard a while ago so I googled it, the top of the search list Top 10 Reasons Marriages Fail has a list and financial is number one I'm sure if I could be bothered looking at others they would have other reasons at 1 but I bet financial will be in the top 10.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I hate buying into political discussion, but divorce usually causes more financial hardship, specifically when a mortgage and kids are involved (insolvency is different) . I know quite a few couples who stay together for that exact reason.

Personally my wife and I divorced because the relationship went toxic and we picked it up too late, we let life get in the way. It became unhealthy for the kids. We tried for 12 months. Financially it smashed me, but 5 years later has worked out for the best, she's one of my best mates. I'm not sure it's anyone's place to generalise comments on a situation they might not understand, left or right be damned. Didn't cost any of you clowns a cent anyway. That said if my taxes could have paid for a session, I wouldn't decline, considering the $50 odd k I put in the coffers each year.

Anyway the money goes regardless of where it's spent, so who gives a ****?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
I hate buying into political discussion, but divorce usually causes more financial hardship, specifically when a mortgage and kids are involved (insolvency is different) . I know quite a few couples who stay together for that exact reason.

Personally my wife and I divorced because the relationship went toxic and we picked it up too late, we let life get in the way. It became unhealthy for the kids. We tried for 12 months. Financially it smashed me, but 5 years later has worked out for the best, she's one of my best mates. I'm not sure it's anyone's place to generalise comments on a situation they might not understand, left or right be damned. Didn't cost any of you clowns a cent anyway. That said if my taxes could have paid for a session, I wouldn't decline, considering the $50 odd k I put in the coffers each year.

Anyway the money goes regardless of where it's spent, so who gives a ****?

Yes, we're clowns, how dare us discuss something we are going to have pay for and because your case is so typical. Most people don't get 200k a year so I can see why your case may differ, we were not talking about you personally. There are many reasons marriages fail, granted, but we shouldn't talk about them or we're clowns? Class act! What does life got in the way mean anyway? If it smashed you financially, how'd your wife do out of it? One must generalise to an extent as there are many differing people and reasons, some more general than others, and though we might not know your particular situation, you think I/we haven't been close to other situations? In fact I am really close to one going belly up at the moment but besides that, this clown still has his wife. If you think this a bit harsh and I'm an arsehole, fair enough, but I don't like someone trying to guilt me into not talking about something, especially when they want to call you names while doing so. That said, I'm really glad you two came out of it good friends, so often that is not the case and puts pressure on kids for decades, so cheers for getting that to work.