Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Ironically he was one of the MP's that was vocal about not wanting abbott as PM and him being the wrong person for the job. he was also one of the MP's that started the motion to topple his leadership.

Well good riddance then.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Raj

Can't agree with your view there.

I'm still of the opinion that Abbott is not a good PM. I felt this way when he was the leader of the Opposition and he really hasn't done anything to change my mind. I think the latest poor decision is the way he has handled Bishop. His loyalty to old colleagues is preventing him from making the right decisions for the national interest.

The problem is who could replace him and be an effective leader. Abbott's personal standing with voters is very poor and always has been. Australians are pretty dumb when it comes to elections. If they dislike the leader they dislike the party and Abbott's lack of popularity is costing the government.

I used to think that Turnbull was the best alternative but even his gloss is wearing off now. Morrison? Definitely a solid performer who has the points on the board but does he have the experience or desire at present? Any other possibility doesn't come readily to mind at present.

Interesting conundrum for a government that still trails an Opposition which is led by an even less acceptable leader.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
You mean good riddance to a MP that was only speaking out for their electorate?

Don was very popular in our electorate and was extremely vocal about the issues we face. Other WA liberal mp's that wanted Abbott out are only doing the same. They're looking out for their electorate and what we as a state want. Abbott isn't popular here despite WA being a liberal state. Mainly because Canberra ignores any state that isn't NSW and Victoria.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Sooo.

Old mate Bill Shorten has announced his target of 50% renewables by 2030. Fantastic. Wind and Solar I feel are not the way of the future. I for one am a big fan of Nuclear power and with the commission into Nuclear Energy I think its a fantastic oppoutunity to put forward the argument to have Nuclear energy as a massive contributor to our renewable energy strategy. Not only does it create jobs here it also means we are using our own natural resources instead of selling it overseas.

With that being said, articles such as this:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/2...-near-###ushima-nuclear-disaster-site/?cmp=fb

Do not help at all. For those who dont know. This picture was actually shot in 2010 and is something called Fascination and happens naturally. Thanks media for offering up click bait titles spreading misinformation and scaremongering to the stupid masses.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'm more interested to see what action he takes, target are all just talk otherwise. I agree that wind is pretty limiting not that fantastic on a large scale, but I still think solar with the landscape and space that we have here that solar or solar thermal is still a viable method of creating sizeable chunks of energy. Obviously would take lots of space and money but both will take dosh and space if placed correctly shouldn't really be an issue, provided location is chosen with thought. That said I'd like to see a legitimate comparison of price to create certain power levels solar vs nuclear. I gather nuclear is probably cheaper the larger the power required. But I have no idea how they compare honestly. Nuclear as a method has a lot of positives and if undertaken correctly not too many negatives. Main struggle I see is convincing the general public as shown by Gren article. Public opinion is bloody vicious these days and seems to burden a lot of things if people don't agree with them.

---I hope this makes sense...its late lol.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Old mate Bill Shorten has announced his target of 50% renewables by 2030. Fantastic. Wind and Solar I feel are not the way of the future. I for one am a big fan of Nuclear power and with the commission into Nuclear Energy I think its a fantastic oppoutunity to put forward the argument to have Nuclear energy as a massive contributor to our renewable energy strategy. Not only does it create jobs here it also means we are using our own natural resources instead of selling it overseas.

Could not agree more! Besides, when it comes to wind being "clean" energy, this...

IMG_2965.jpg

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Bill Shorten to support boat turn-backs, warns against binding vote on same-sex marriage

Discuss :)

I'm particularly interested in reading the views of the left leaning posters to this forum for most of which Labor can do no wrong.

Many on the left don't see ALP as 'left' anymore. 'Alternative Liberal Party' gets bandied about a bit.

Personally I have mixed views about asylum seekers. I appreciate that we can't have all-and-sundry turn up on our doorstep (lest we don't have the resources to look after them all), however keeping refugees indefinitely in camps is prohibitively expensive (I have seen figures of $1000 per person per day bandied about), and the conditions are abhorrent.

As for same sex marriage, bear in mind the NSW Right faction of ALP is basically controlled by the Catholic Church, and NSW right faction is very powerful.

With all the bullshit going on with donations, rorts, corruption etc. The Greens do appear quite squeaky clean, and on paper, the perfect choice for those who want government with integrity. However a while ago I distanced myself from the Greens due to various factors.

- Involve yourself with the greens, you involve yourself with conspiracy theorists, feminists, environmentalists, potheads and other strange people.
- Greens wish to increase welfare, I think welfare bill is high enough as it is.
- Greens oppose all new freeways in metro areas; I think it should be on a case by case basis. Sure I think the whole of WestConnex is a bit silly, but M4 East and M2-M1 are greatly needed!
- Greens oppose animal racing and animal sport. There is a considerable business surrounding this, providing many jobs.
- There is no Greens plan to increase revenue by developing a commercial base that can then be taxed - in post industrial Australia, this is needed. Yes there are jobs in renewables, and smart technologies, but it isn't enough. Some people can't go to uni for various reasons.
- .....and so forth.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
C3P0

Interesting comments. What on earth attracted you to the Greens in the first place? They've always been loopy.

Reaper

Don't hold your breath waiting for comments from the lefties. They're either at the National Labor Party Conference experiencing political orgasms or they've gone into hibernation. (Do gophers hibernate?)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The problem with the greens is they would happily send civilization back to the stone ages without regard for the consequences of their actions.

Calaber: Well their silence is deafening.... The broader lesson here is, unfortunately like WWII and many other examples, sometimes you need to do seemingly heartless things for the greater good. Same deal with our current situation with ISIS and the like. Sometimes, mature negotiation just does not work and you have to just irradiate them. The sooner that happens, the less pain for **everybody** (all sides). As for the boats - it's hard to argue that since we have denied them any possibility of living in Australia they have all but stopped with only a handful setting forth since this policy was introduced.