Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I love Christmas lights.
They remind me of the people who voted for Julia Gillard.
They all hang together; half of them don't work, and the ones that do, aren't that bright

I didnt vote for Gillard, but I'd be pretty offended by that. Got any statistical evidence to support your claim?
Its not a funny at all, its an insult to anyone who doesnt agree with your own narrow minded views.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
By the states I presume you mean the state governments? The governments are representatives of the people/constituents/taxpayers/electorate so therefore ultimately the minerals are collectively owned by this group in as much as ultimately the money gets spent in a way to have some benefit to this group at a variety of levels. I would say that is some kind of ownership.
I don’t see it as such a big lie.

Yes, I mean state governments.

In terms of ownership, if you have a mineral deposit sitting 500 m under your house, you do not own it.

Same principal applies to what I was saying, on a state wide scale - using the angle of the state government as representatives of the people to say that it implies some sort of ownership is incorrect. Although I can see your point and thats the argument Swan is using, technically its misleading.

Last edited:

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Yes, I mean state governments.

In terms of ownership, if you have a mineral deposit sitting 500 m under your house, you do not own it.

Same principal applies to what I was saying, on a state wide scale - using the angle of the state government as representatives of the people to say that it implies some sort of ownership is incorrect. Although I can see your point and thats the argument Swan is using, technically its misleading.
Yeah I suppose the term ownership is superfluous in a way. In the end it is a matter of to whose benefit the use and sale of these commodities is.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
I didnt vote for Gillard, but I'd be pretty offended by that. Got any statistical evidence to support your claim?
Its not a funny at all, its an insult to anyone who doesnt agree with your own narrow minded views.

Narrow minded? No. It's actually quite justified. You'd have to be completely bonkers to vote for Gillard or any of the ALP in its current form or the Greens for that matter.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

princess much?

Crisis, nah I didn't google it, I found it on the Age comments section of all places lol.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
the minerals belong to the people of australia, not miners. mining companies are just one part of the resources supply chain - the part where the resources are extracted from the ground and onsold to the next link in the chain. broadly speaking, they do not add value to the minerals they mine (obviously that's a generalisation) - the value is determined predominantly by global supply-and-demand.

the question is: who should benefit or lose from price fluctuations?

under the existing royalties system, it's primarily miners who benefit from price increases. i'm unsure to what extent they lose from price drops, though (does anyone know?).

fundamentally, the same entity should be impacted by price fluctuations. my basic understanding is that miners are given long-term leases on areas of land to mine, but i don't understand to what extent the lease price is tied to the resource price. in summary though - if miners want to perpetuate the historical arrangement of royalties, in which they seem to pocket profits from resource price increases, then they should also be just as exposed to resource price falls. i'm unsure that's the case though - which i'd argue would justify reforming the mining tax system.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
jules, so by what you are saying, tourism should be super taxed, i mean, after all, all of everything belongs to the people.

In fact I can list a myriad of items that you claim should be ok to be super taxed out of existemce.

All good though right, I mean after all, the miners wont go anywhere will they? All the new exploration drilling in other countries is just my imagination.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline