Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Road safety is about revenue collection.

Actually no it's not. Road safety is about road safety.

Speed (or "road safety") cameras are about revenue collection.

There's a difference.

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Yeah and what happens now when the rest of the public servents struggle to get pay rises that barely meet cost of living increaes and most times don't even do that.
They will probably get locked out.. ;-)

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L

There's a difference.

The governments through the various departments of transport use the notion of road safety as an excuse for unrestrained revenue collection. Better?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Speaking of speed cameras, makes me laugh you see the large sign on highways speed camera in the next bla bla, but you never see anyone slow down as they pass doing 7-8+ over the limit. These people the governments love. The ones i hate are the stupid clowns that pass me move in-front of me then slow because speed cameras are in the area. Hey don't mind me im only doing 1kph under the limit on cruise control i can easily run up your arse because your more scared than in a hurry now.

I'd like a different approach to speed cameras on freeways highways. How about a sign every 3km (on major freeways cbd only test) and one that starts at the beginning on ramps that simply says, "Speed Camera's in full operation throughout the highway". "Speed at your own risk".

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I'd like a different approach to speed cameras on freeways highways. How about a sign every 3km (on major freeways cbd only test) and one that starts at the beginning on ramps that simply says, "Speed Camera's in full operation throughout the highway". "Speed at your own risk".

What the Vic state government did was release a list of roads where mobile speed cameras would be set up (this was something which was promised at the election after criticizing the previous government for their revenue raising). If you see the list contains a road you used on the way to work of course you would pay more attention to your speed, drive safer, and avoid the fine. This is a great Idea and obviously worked because revenue decreased by 8%.
This doesn't give drivers a green light to speed elsewhere on the roads as highway patrol guys are still out in force with their in car speed detection but they generally only target people going 10k's over.

Just confirms what we've seen in the past from government on both sides, they're addicted to revenue and don't do what they promise.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
What the Vic state government did was release a list of roads where mobile speed cameras would be set up (this was something which was promised at the election after criticizing the previous government for their revenue raising). If you see the list contains a road you used on the way to work of course you would pay more attention to your speed, drive safer, and avoid the fine. This is a great Idea and obviously worked because revenue decreased by 8%.
This doesn't give drivers a green light to speed elsewhere on the roads as highway patrol guys are still out in force with their in car speed detection but they generally only target people going 10k's over.

Just confirms what we've seen in the past from government on both sides, they're addicted to revenue and don't do what they promise.
I get an email telling me of all mobile and fixed locations every year. Half the time i don't really look over it as i enjoy cruise control whenever i can get it. But remember Ted will fix it;).

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

by the sign stating 'speed at your own risk' they are no longer prohibiting speeding, which opens all sorts of legal issues for the govt.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais

There's a difference.

Dude, turn your sarcasm meter up a bit

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I prefer a point to point system for speed cameras. Obviously in built up areas the distance between them would be shorter, but an average speed would be much fairer. Its all too easy to creep a couple k's over the limit, but most people would usually be on or below it. Cameras are often set in places where the k's do creep up a little, like for instance on the bottom of a hill.

If I hit the horsies for a few seconds to pass a tourist who is not paying attention to the world around him, get past him, and get back in the correct lane and come back to the speed limit again, I think its grossly unfair to be in the **** for it. Its the tourist that is likely to cause an accident, not me.

If you are consistently speeding, a point to point system will catch you, without penalising you for a few seconds of a few k's over.

I use cruise whenever possible, but even on a freeway, every rise and fall in the road will make a small difference to your speed. Cruise control doesn't apply brakes for you when you are effectively rolling down a hill.

It would be my contention that if I set my cruise control at the speed limit, I am acting within the supposed intent of the law, and those couple of extra k's that may occur occasionally are not killers, they are dollars.

I think the system has a lot of changes that need making. Road safety is important, sure, but the intent of speed limits is to limit ones speed to a reasonable and safe level. Charging someone with being 3km over the limit once in a 4hr journey is NOT (supposedly) the intent of speed laws, and makes NO difference to road safety. If that few seconds is the only time you exceeded the speed limit, with your foot off the accelerator rolling down an otherwise empty hill, then you have not in my opinion done anything worth being in the **** for.

Revenue raising, pure and simple.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Cracks appear as Martin Ferguson refuses to back Prime Minister Julia Gillard | News.com.au

Australian government really is the adult version of a primary school yard push and shove...

"I want to be the PM"

"No I want to be the PM"

"But I have more friends than you"

"I don't care the teachers like me more"

"Nobody likes both of you! But I don't want to be PM"

"Niether do I! I just want to break all the school toys!"

You really can't do anything more but laugh at the Federal Government. But hey, at least then you'll be joining the rest of the world...