Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Think you're going to have to talk us through that assessment too.

ok then.
the boats are still coming and some are even reaching the mainland
unless that was the plan then it really is not going to plan is it?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I'm just going to assume that you're trolling now. It's less of an insult than the other thing :p

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
ok maybe not stop the boats from day one but more like make a difference from day one
either way it's not going according to plan is it?

I love the way you are holding Abbott accountable for the actions of a determined group of criminals who will push the boundaries with smuggling until there is no further avenue to pursue.

Abbott was sworn in last Wednesday, so he couldn't take any action before then. One of the first things he does is to appoint the commander of Operation Sovereign Borders (or whatever it's called.)

In the meantime, do you think that the people smugglers just sat back to see what was going to happen? Not likely - they would continue to jam as many people on boats and send them on their way as possible. Travel time is approximately 3 days by boat from Java to Christmas Island.

How in hell do you expect the appointment of the commander on the Wednesday or Thursday, to have any effect at all on vessels already at sea? Are you so naiive that you actually think the captains and passengers on those vessels would have thought "Oh, ****, Abbott's won the election - we'd better turn back?"

As I said before, Abbott stated quite clearly that results would not be immediately obvious and that it was going to take a long time for this problem to be solved. If you are foolish enough to think that his appointment was going to yield immediate results from the moment he took office, that's your problem. And your post above about things not going to plan just reinforces our perceptions.

BTW, those of us who voted for Abbott have very high expectations of him. We also are realistic enough to know that he is no magician and his electoral promises will take a long time to yield real results.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
ok then.
the boats are still coming and some are even reaching the mainland
unless that was the plan then it really is not going to plan is it?

Really? You have to be trolling as you can't honestly be that "unique".

Are you suggesting that all those people who have already paid, are in transit to Indonesia or are already in Indonesia waiting for a boat will now change their plans?

I'm fairly confident that people smugglers don't have a returns policy so all those people in the pipeline are going to come through.

An intelligent person would understand that the effects are only going to been seen on those people who were about to pump into the people smuggling pipeline.

Or are you honestly saying you believed that the effects of the policy would be immediate?

Last edited:

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I think it will take a good 6-12 months minimum to see if Abbots measures are effective. Personally I'm a bit unsure exactly how it will work in practice: how much collaboration there will be with Indonesian authorities, how the intercepted boats will be treated, and what exactly will happen to asylum seekers who do make it to christmas island. Give it time, and if the situation improves then credit to Abbot. If things get worse then the criticism will come

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

The Greens vote fell from over 12% in the 2010 election to just over 8.4% in the most recent. I remember predicting a couple of years ago that the alliance between Labor and the Greens would go against the Greens badly at the next election. On a percentage basis, I think it was even worse than Labor's performance.

More good news for the Labor acolytes. Recent reports on NBN Co's performance indicates that the numbers of houses passed by fibre are hugely less than predicted two years ago, and the numbers of actual connections are also well below prediction. Fancy that. Conroy was telling us for so long that all was going swimmingly and the project was "on target and on budget".

Hmm, guess not, Steve.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Calaber - try Nolus Illegitimi Carborundum (Don't allow those without fathers - mineral for grinding)

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Nice, but I'll keep mine. Easier to pronounce, even if yours is more correct.

Carborundum isn't Latin so both are incorrect. What does it matter? We know what you mean. It would only matter if someone argued it was Latin in the first palce. Pretty sure bastardo isn't Latin either.