Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
I hadn't read that exact first reference you quoted, but it's a more succinct and accurate description of events than my version. I recall reading that Britain had endeavoured to impose discriminatory trade agreements that got up the US nose. The Wikipedia version has more than just a hint of pro-US sentiment included, doesn't it?

I know I was loling at the US as being a bit hypocritical but I don't think the US is politically the same beast it was almost 80 years ago. If we go back into the evolution of the US it seemed much more discerning and thoughtful in the past. Then we get the modern Republicans and recently the tea party faction who I would imagine would have been mostly sidelined as the extremists they are in the past. We can see that in comments that leaders made about the military industrial complex, early thoughts on corporations, wariness of banking institutions that are not part of the view these days.

I must admit I kinda miss the Empire even though my political views are certainly not Empire. Even though it's days were coming to a close when I grew up, as a kid I was surrounded by ideas of Empire, we were a bit like an extended British Raj family transplanted to WA without the punkah wallahs and pet tigers. My dad's side of the family came to Au in 1947, my dad(born in Bombay/Mumbai) was 12 his dad a recently retired British army Colonel and that whole side of the family had a history in India at least back to the Sepoy Uprising(Mutiny) with one of the telegraphists reporting the start of the mutiny being my great great grandfather..

lol! When they rocked up in Fremantle my dad said to his dad, "Dad, there's white men working down there" referring to the dock workers. Culture shock! Ah well, don't know if I was doing anything but rambling in this post, that's always a danger of having a few..

All things change and pass, I only hope the transition to the next world leader will happen without much conflict.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
What do others think of the way the Senate is moving? Are people really split up in to small blocks of weird? It kinda reminds me of a scene in Religulous where a Democrat Senator is interviewed starting about 34 mins in and says "you don't need to take an IQ test to be a Senator, hyuk hyuk" then his face when he realises what he has just said. It's classic.

Is this where our Senate is heading? And if that's a Democrat, you can imagine the Republicans.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The composition of our next Senate is more a reflection of some of the problems that can arise with the preferential voting system, rather than being a fair indication of the preferences of voters. It's going to be different, that's for sure, with about five minor single interest parties holding the balance of power. At this stage, it seems as though they will have Conservative preferences themselves, so they may not impede legislative passage in the same manner that a Greens balance of power might, but there will certainly be some wheeling and dealing to get some legislation passed.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Revisiting the Peter Slipper CabCharge "affair" after recent paybacks from other Coalition members for travel, is it a little hypocritical to continue? The only differences I see it that Slipper's case was directed straight to AFP and these using the Reith Protocol of pay it back and no drama, consider it a loan. There are a few that are paying back much more than Slipper has so premeditatedly stolen from us. Thoughts?
Peter Slipper slams 'breathtaking' double standards over MPs expense entitlements

edit: Remember Slipper was part of the Coalition at the time.
edit2: Maybe if he just had of taken the time to speak with the proprietor of the ice-cream shop he could just have been networking. Who I wonder referred it to the AFP instead of just saying "pay it back like the rest of us do"? Would you be surprised if the person that brought it to the AFP's attention was amongst some of the latest paying back race? That would be interesting if it comes out that way.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Revisiting the Peter Slipper CabCharge "affair" after recent paybacks from other Coalition members for travel, is it a little hypocritical to continue? The only differences I see it that Slipper's case was directed straight to AFP and these using the Reith Protocol of pay it back and no drama, consider it a loan. There are a few that are paying back much more than Slipper has so premeditatedly stolen from us. Thoughts?
Peter Slipper slams 'breathtaking' double standards over MPs expense entitlements

edit: Remember Slipper was part of the Coalition at the time.
edit2: Maybe if he just had of taken the time to speak with the proprietor of the ice-cream shop he could just have been networking. Who I wonder referred it to the AFP instead of just saying "pay it back like the rest of us do"? Would you be surprised if the person that brought it to the AFP's attention was amongst some of the latest paying back race? That would be interesting if it comes out that way.

Wasn't Slipper's case one of repeated shonky claims rather than a single incident? I agree that the most recently revealed claims should have been more carefully vetted, (or never submitted in the first place) but Slipper had a reputation for bleeding his entitlements for every cent he could get.

No excuse for any of them, but Slipper's case was extreme.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I agree where it doesn't present well however hmmm - it is a tough one. On 1 hand yep I totally agree but on the other, there are plenty of functions on the fringe that are very grey. For example - The Pm & others attending the royal wedding a few years back?? Attending the funerals of any number of prominent people in both Australia and around the world? Flying to a country to attend a number of official functions but also taking a day out to attend a private function?

Some of the expense claims are just plain nuts and should never have been made. Others are by no means so clear cut what so ever. I don't think it's something unique to any party either.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I feel for politicians when it comes to this type of scrutiny. When you travel for work, expenses are a very very grey area and sometimes it's hard to draw a line between work and personal expenses when you're on a work trip. If I'm with customers or colleagues and away from home I feel like I should be able to claim everything, but some things definitely become personal/social more so than work and it feels wrong to claim them. But at the same time if you don't claim enough then traveling becomes highly expensive, and some of the best working relationships are formed over a few drinks many 1000's of k's from home. It's very grey and I don't envy these guys having to mount a defense under public scrutiny

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
That article makes me think of this:

183023.strip.sunday.gif

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L