Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Wasn't Slipper's case one of repeated shonky claims rather than a single incident? I agree that the most recently revealed claims should have been more carefully vetted, (or never submitted in the first place) but Slipper had a reputation for bleeding his entitlements for every cent he could get.

No excuse for any of them, but Slipper's case was extreme.

I don't know how, after all the AFP investigations into his expenses and they come up with $900 worth to charge him on, you could call it "repeated shonky claims". Tony Abbott has repaid over 10 grand in travel entitlements and he hasn't had the AFP go through his claims. The first claims made against Slipper by Ashby were dropped, the AFP had to dig back to 2010 to find something that might stick and that's where we are up to now.

This might shed some light on how weird this "affair" is. A familiar AFP smell over Slipper and #Ashby - No Fibs

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Revisiting the Peter Slipper CabCharge "affair" after recent paybacks from other Coalition members for travel, is it a little hypocritical to continue? The only differences I see it that Slipper's case was directed straight to AFP and these using the Reith Protocol of pay it back and no drama, consider it a loan. There are a few that are paying back much more than Slipper has so premeditatedly stolen from us. Thoughts?
Peter Slipper slams 'breathtaking' double standards over MPs expense entitlements

edit: Remember Slipper was part of the Coalition at the time.
edit2: Maybe if he just had of taken the time to speak with the proprietor of the ice-cream shop he could just have been networking. Who I wonder referred it to the AFP instead of just saying "pay it back like the rest of us do"? Would you be surprised if the person that brought it to the AFP's attention was amongst some of the latest paying back race? That would be interesting if it comes out that way.

I think all non business trips should be funded by the MP, no if's but maybe's.

In all of this though, interesting no one is bringing up this...

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

Fact is, all sides of politics have been doing this for some time, the claims they make are on public record. Easy way to fix it, make the pollies pay first and claim later. This way there is no grey area. I mean heck, all us plebs have to do it this way!

How do politicians make the claims? Are they made, then some public servant approves or disproves them?

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
some of these "claims" seem to be beyond the pale.

But, look at the way the Tax Office treats private enterprize.
it seems that every trip, and every lunch, is tax-deductible, if the taxpayer is engaged in any sort of business.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think all non business trips should be funded by the MP, no if's but maybe's.

In all of this though, interesting no one is bringing up this...

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

Fact is, all sides of politics have been doing this for some time, the claims they make are on public record. Easy way to fix it, make the pollies pay first and claim later. This way there is no grey area. I mean heck, all us plebs have to do it this way!

How do politicians make the claims? Are they made, then some public servant approves or disproves them?

Great - totally agree. So how do you determine what a non business trip is? Attending a lot of these functions and the like are very grey. For example - the situation I described a few posts back where many mp's attended the royal wedding or various funerals of various people both here and abroad. How do you draw the line what is a personal appearance and what is expected because of the office being held?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Great - totally agree. So how do you determine what a non business trip is? Attending a lot of these functions and the like are very grey. For example - the situation I described a few posts back where many mp's attended the royal wedding or various funerals of various people both here and abroad. How do you draw the line what is a personal appearance and what is expected because of the office being held?

I doubt attending Rineharts wedding is a business trip. Just as using an RAAF jet to go to a staffers wedding is hardly business.

I had a trip to Fiji earlier this year to do a wedding. I was there 5 days in total and took my wife. I claimed 50% of the accommodation on 2 nights as 1 days was requiring me to scout locations and 1 required doing the wedding. I then claimed part of my flight costs. Now if some pleb like myself can break up a business and pleasure trip to claim, surely a Rhodes scholar can do the same?

I have no issue with attending the royal wedding at tax payers expense, however, should an MP attend and then stay on 5 days visiting areas of the country for pleasure then we should not be paying.

Do you have grey areas when you do your tax? My guess, is no, you do not.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I doubt attending Rineharts wedding is a business trip. Just as using an RAAF jet to go to a staffers wedding is hardly business.

I had a trip to Fiji earlier this year to do a wedding. I was there 5 days in total and took my wife. I claimed 50% of the accommodation on 2 nights as 1 days was requiring me to scout locations and 1 required doing the wedding. I then claimed part of my flight costs. Now if some pleb like myself can break up a business and pleasure trip to claim, surely a Rhodes scholar can do the same?

I have no issue with attending the royal wedding at tax payers expense, however, should an MP attend and then stay on 5 days visiting areas of the country for pleasure then we should not be paying.

Do you have grey areas when you do your tax? My guess, is no, you do not.

Yep - plenty of stuff that is grey. They have a whole section of the ATO that makes rulings on various tax deduction claims. A significant portion of the negative rulings are subsequently overturned in court. I've even applied for a few myself (always been successful although unlikely to challenge if things didn't go my way). You didn't answer the question I asked above.

As for your examples, on the face of it I'd agree with you however I'd like to see all the facts before making a judgement.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Muir is still MEAP, just the Victorian branch of the party seems to have fallen in a heap and doesn't exist anymore except for the senator elec. I've heard they'll be replaced and the party will kick on.

Seems like a good move from Muir, he's definitley getting value for his vote by doing this. Am I right in saying this 4 person coalition will have the balance of power to pass any legislation that's blocked by the Greens/Labor, or will the Libs still need Xenophons vote?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Now, I know this publication is a bit left but bear with me. Read what Bolt knows and what he is attacking Slipper over, then tell me he's not as crazy as the Tea Party and Jones when you compare that to his support of the Coalition in defending their expenses... There's two links in that story, compare. Does that seem like someone with any sense of balance? I don't think it bodes well for his sanity that he can hold such dichotomies to both be true.

What beat up? « The Australian Independent Media Network

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Now, I know this publication is a bit left but bear with me. Read what Bolt knows and what he is attacking Slipper over, then tell me he's not as crazy as the Tea Party and Jones when you compare that to his support of the Coalition in defending their expenses... There's two links in that story, compare. Does that seem like someone with any sense of balance? I don't think it bodes well for his sanity that he can hold such dichotomies to both be true.

What beat up? « The Australian Independent Media Network

There is a massive difference...clearly yourself and others do not understand.

The cooalition MP's made claims and they were approved. Slipper made claims, however, he also tried to hide what he was doing through different measures, such as using multi cabcharge dockets for the one trip not using the actual destinations etc. Hence the AFP charging him with fraud. Had he made all this claims openly without trying to hide where he had been, he wouldnt be in this position...

I do not think your sanity is kicking along to well? What is with lefties and the inability to see a difference. I see the ALP have gone very quiet on this matter...given Swanny, Gillard, Rudd are all guilty of the same offences the coalition are. Dreyfus was made to look like the absolute idiot he is.