Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The case for unions still exists, but more for defending workers when unlawfully dismissed or support during work related issues, such as retrenchments etc. In those cases, unions generally won't prevent lay-offs, but they might ensure that the person receives a decent pay-out.

So far as improving working conditions, it's difficult to imagine that many industries these days force their employees to work in unlawful conditions, due to the stringent workplace safety regulations that exist. I assume this would be the same in the United States as it is here. Of course, there will always be industries such as mining and construction where a high risk level exists and, by a strange coincidence, those are the industries in Australia where thuggish and illegal union behaviour is most prevalent. Clean the thugs out of those unions and/or de-register them, and you might see some improvement, (for a while, at least). The BLF was reknowned for its industrial thuggery in the 1970's and was deregistered. The CFMEU took its place and look what they've been like.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Fair work handles all of those issues, my old man just went through it all.
So again, unions are good for Australia how?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Fair work handles all of those issues, my old man just went through it all.
So again, unions are good for Australia how?

Let's take one example of an "industry" in NSW that is almost 100% unionised but which causes no industrial strife or pain to the community through strikes or "go slows". NSW Police Force. The Police Association takes on matters that Fair Work Australia would not, as the Association is the representative of the employee, not the arbiter. In fact, FWA becomes the arbiter in industrial issues which can't be resolved between employee reps and management, so there will always be a case for unions in some industries. It is actively engaged in negotiations with the NSW Government over many employment conditions for police and always has been. Some might say it has been overly effective in achieving conditions for police which were not readily or permanently sustainable and were detrimental to State Government budgets. I can think of a couple of examples but they wouldn't be of much interest here. Suffice it to say that FWA would probably not have a major part to play in those negotiations, because the Association bargains from a very strong position and the Government generally has a lot of hard bargaining to do to get the Association's demands back to more reasonable levels.

As an additional comment. I personally loathe unions and agree with the comments that to some extent they have outlived their usefulness. However, my comments above are used to demonstrate that, up to a point, they can still be beneficial.

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Had to walk through these muppets yesterday on the way to a client.
All of them standing around looked exactly like the sort of blokes you would expect to be standing around.
Unions are a ####ing joke. Literally these muppets sent out to show their support for two criminal thugs.
They are actively working towards destroying businesses these days and hold them to hostage.
Interesting to see that ol'man Andrews has had nothing to comment about this. Spineless little piggy probably still has old caked cum around all his holes from this Union masters.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I am with Calaber on this one, is a necessary evil. But that evil needs to be caged until need it.

In another hand, if a company is run by a gang of slave drivers, I think is a business opportunity for the competition to poach their workers by offering a better condition. To me is a clean and fair business practice.

My place at work is pretty much driven by profits, forget the product, profit is king, a number game. Investors put a buck in and wants 2 in return, nothing wrong with that from their view. Companies are forced to make a profits regardless of economical situations. They cut corners, cheapen things, piss off workers, they unionize and the vicious cycle goes on. The Stock Market plays a huge role on how companies behave. Talked about been screwed like a Chinese Finger Trap. Screwed by Investors, screwed by Unions.

Most companies that I see with the happiest and satisfied workforce are private. Have anybody noticed that?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Skydrol

Not working for Jeep by any chance? Just based on your description about "screw the product, go for the profit".

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No surprise to anybody however it would appear that the contract that wasn't worth the paper it was written on actually did have around $1.1billion cost to it :bang:. This is money that is plainly and simply gone. Instead of around a $1.8billion capital cost to govco in partnership with the private sector for a necessary piece of infrastructure for Victoria, now we have no road and over $1billion in costs :bang:. Daniel Andrews should immediately resign and hang his head in shame. He went to the election pledging to cancel the contract with no cost to Victoria. Well it appears he is wrong by over a billion in less than a year. That has to be a record surely???

East West Link audit

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Show me anyone who isn't at best SACKED or at worst IN GAOL for losing over $1BILLION in the first year in their job if it's anywhere OTHER than politics...

But you can't actually blame Andrews alone... The blame should also sit with the morons that voted for him and his criminal funded campaign. They were either too ignorant or apathetic to see through the lies, and the smoke and mirrors game. Ask them, which of those it is and they'll likely reply with "I don't know and I don't care".

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Show me anyone who isn't at best SACKED or at worst IN GAOL for losing over $1BILLION in the first year in their job if it's anywhere OTHER than politics...

But you can't actually blame Andrews alone... The blame should also sit with the morons that voted for him and his criminal funded campaign. They were either too ignorant or apathetic to see through the lies, and the smoke and mirrors game. Ask them, which of those it is and they'll likely reply with "I don't know and I don't care".

I was told by a senior manager at LendLease last November that the cost will be around $1bill if they were lucky and the no cost thing was bs and well here we are.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Skydrol

Not working for Jeep by any chance? Just based on your description about "screw the product, go for the profit".

Oh noooo... will say this much, "Composite Materials". Cannot tell what I do.

Our political system rides on corruption and a legal form of bribery known as "Campaign Contributions". Our Emperor is a hollowed character, a mere pitchmen with nice perks that comes with the position.

There is tale floating around that GM was not Bankrupt. The UAW contributed large sums of money to the current admin. In return, with interest and extra change for the political party was a nicely package called Bailout Money. Too big to fail... so the Emperor pitched to the masses.