Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So if I tell you it'll cost $x to renovate your house, amount seems reasonable and value for money but then when somebody else looks at the figures and tells me I can't actually build it for what I told you it'll cost 4 times the figure and the project goes ahead anyway (in this scenario) you're keeping the same attitude?

Just gotta suck it up as a consumer because "it is what it is"?

Or do you get shitty that I did a poor job at calculating the project initially?

Well it seems to me they have done the right thing with the cost blowout and cut your losses before they become greater.

Estimating costs is an interesting subject. On major projects it's not uncommon for people to under quote the actual costs and then make their money on all the variations that end up been done to complete said project.

Renovating a house is much different to building a stadium of large infrastructure project like a major railway system as costs can change greatly during the life of the project and when estimating for said project you really only guess what increases you will face.

Fletcher building here in NZ made some huge losses a few years ago because they took on some major projects at a fixed cost price.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Suburban Rail loop just for one.

The entire project was Estimated to cost $50b, but at next calculation the first two stages alone were estimated at $200b.

But what's $150b between friends. :confused:
SRL East is (currently) $30-34B.

I was chatting to a colleague from level crossings. Lots of civil projects are being phased now due to labour. Companies are either not increasing their size or charging ridiculous prices to have coincident work on.
As before, surely you are a fan of govt revaluating and making the hard choices.
Or you'd prefer they push on and then Libs can point the finger at the overspend?
So if I tell you it'll cost $x to renovate your house, amount seems reasonable and value for money but then when somebody else looks at the figures and tells me I can't actually build it for what I told you it'll cost 4 times the figure and the project goes ahead anyway (in this scenario) you're keeping the same attitude?

Just gotta suck it up as a consumer because "it is what it is"?

Or do you get shitty that I did a poor job at calculating the project initially?
But in your example you're not paying for a house, you're paying for a party in the house.

To make a better analogy, you get quoted x to cater a party for corporate clients to sea some deals.
Then someone runs the numbers and the catering is now 4x as much, but deal value hasn't gone up so its cost negative.
Cancel the party right?

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Scrap the Commonwealth while you're at it.
If someone tried to invade Australia (which will never happen btw), the US & UK would have no other choice than to stop it. Our natural resources & location as a safehaven in the event of nuclear war, are way too important to ignore.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Scrap the Commonwealth while you're at it.
If someone tried to invade Australia (which will never happen btw), the US & UK would have no other choice than to stop it. Our natural resources & location as a safehaven in the event of nuclear war, are way too important to ignore.
You've got to be kidding, Yanks and poms come to our aid? We are just being used for what they can gain, after that we have no further use. They are more concerned with taking our markets for the likes of wheat. They are happy to take 32 billion or whatever it is for a few worn out subs and then offer cut priced commodities in our markets.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Anyone remember the Americans who fought beside us in the Coral Sea protecting Australia's interests in WW2

Anyone remember the American pilots who flew fast air support whenever we got in the **** and needed fire-power or medivac for Australians in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan

It seems popular, by those who have never relied on the Americans, to bash the Americans wherever and wherever they can

Always remember when you are "in the ****", they will move mountains and risk their own lives to protect and help us

Whilst American politics has its many issues, and their main agenda in their politics and economics is to make "their" country stronger, their support for Australia is there when it is really needed

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyone remember the Americans who fought beside us in the Coral Sea protecting Australia's interests in WW2

Anyone remember the American pilots who flew fast air support whenever we got in the **** and needed fire-power or medivac for Australians in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan

It seems popular, by those who have never relied on the Americans, to bash the Americans wherever and wherever they can

Always remember when you are "in the ****", they will move mountains and risk their own lives to protect and help us

Whilst American politics has its many issues, and their main agenda in their politics and economics is to make "their" country stronger, their support for Australia is there when it is really needed

While I don't disagree with the sentiment, why were we in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
while still maintaining some of benefits to the regions?
Just so we're on the same page here.

The original estimate that the Andrews government took to the election for a regional Commonwealth Games was $2.6bn.

So it's not unreasonable to expect that the return on this would be $2.6bn or greater;
To make a better analogy, you get quoted x to cater a party for corporate clients to sea some deals.
Then someone runs the numbers and the catering is now 4x as much, but deal value hasn't gone up so its cost negative.
Cancel the party right?

Now, it has come to light in the past 4-5 weeks that there would not only be a return on the $2.6bn spend, but the actual spend would need to be closer to $7bn instead?

And a portion of the $2.6bn, around $2bn is still going to be spent in the regional areas to create some benefit?
$1bn towards the sporting venues and $1bn towards housing.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/olymp...l/news-story/637117c3b03c0f35a71386a23bd1a9ae
"“First and foremost, each and every one of the permanent sporting facilities that were to be legacy benefits from the Games will be built,” he said. “There is a very substantial regional tourism fund and a substantial package of support for community-based sport and perhaps most importantly they will be a $1 billion boost for social and affordable housing right across regional Victoria and not just in those hub cities but they will be at least 1300 new homes constructed across regional Victoria.

But, as above, since the funding in the regions was based on getting some return, where is the return on that money now coming from? Is it still from the money allocated and budgeted for the Commonwealth games or is it simply coming out of the "The Big Housing Build" which has a figure of $1.25bn set aside for rural housing?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
When was the original estimate done?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the 2.6b was still the estimate in the may budget and also when talking to the games committee in June, its only blown out to 6-7b in the last month

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
When was the original estimate done?
8 June 2023 -
"Harriet SHING: I am really happy to provide you with information that splits up what has been done, but it
is also important to note that the $2.6 billion that is in the 2022–23 budget is for the entire games. "