Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
We'll all have chips implanted in us by then. o_O
tumblr-mi11j3-NSs-P1rm4mpho1-1280.jpg

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
don't tell lies Immortality, NZ is 44% renewable energy.

"The renewable share for electricity generation increased to 82.1% for 2021, up from 81.1% in 2020"

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
The Solar and sheep farming company @Immortality spoke of Lodestone Energy completed their first installation last year, which is up and running where I am in Northland, with the second in Bay Of Plenty set to be producing enough power for 7,500 homes this year.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
All sides of politics are controlled by the same corporate interests & lobbyists, but at least some of the time progressives help people who need it instead of those who don't. For example, lifting the dole & raising minimum wages to match inflation. Australian Labor just doubled funding to schools in the Northern Territory, which is something the other side would never have thought of doing. Superannuation on paid parental leave should have been income/means tested, but the backlash would be absolutely ridiculous.
These are small measures, but compared to the 9 years of attacking anyone the Libs didn't see as worthy, it's a move in the right direction.
Why should superannuation paid on maternity leave be means tested?

Why do you bother commenting if you won’t discuss anything?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes I've seen those advertised here in NZ but not had a good look at the details. I think I saw it been used for a deck construction.

Was it a big deck? I just want to if they can support a big deck not just a small deck.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think it was, lt was a low height, not sure the size.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Stop speaking about shite you know nothing about. Pumped hydro has a round trip efficiency of around 80%.

Stop speaking about shite you know nothing about. New Zealand’s grid is about 82% renewables.

https://www.energyresources.org.nz/oil-and-gas-new-zealand/our-energy-mix/

https://www.energyresources.org.nz/oil-and-gas-new-zealand/our-energy-mix/
Maybe SMRs are a good option, too bad they don’t actually exist at this point in time. Nuclear is hideously expensive but realistically if we cant store sufficient power with pumped hydro etc then nuclear at the margins might be a viable backup solution for when the sun doesn’t blow and the wind doesn’t shine.

Yes, You said it above. I recommend you take your own advice and stop talking about shite you know nothing about. Russia and China have SMR's in operation plus dozens are currently in production around the world plus sores more going thru the approval phase. Actual cost per Gwh is still to be proven however with the productionised nature of SMR's compared to bespoke designs of the full size reactors, capital costs are expected to come down significantly.

That being said it would require government subsidies or intervention in the energy market, possibly using a payment mechanism for despatchable power that goes from non-firmed renewables to the nuclear power plants.

The market isn’t going to do nuclear purely because of the capex costs and long lead time to build a nuclear power plant. You’re tying up billions in capital for a decade or more before you even generate your first electron.

Every day we wait is another day of blackouts and under supply at the other end of the time line.

You mean like the Victorian Labour Government who didn't dig deep enough to discover contaminated soil when estimating the cost of the West Gate tunnel project/debacle?
Yeah, they were so much smarter than the average Joe.:)

Lololol Vicgovco knew *all* about the contaminated soil well before any works started. But, the dumb cnuts they are, changed EPA regs in-between the time of contract signing and works starting so that this waste could only be disposed of in prescribed plants. But no such plants existed back then and to my knowledge still don't. Thus we have a mountain of spoil being stashed out the back of Baccusmarsh till they figure out what to do with it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes, You said it above. I recommend you take your own advice and stop talking about shite you know nothing about. Russia and China have SMR's in operation

So you would be happy buying an SMR from China or Russia? They don’t count because autocratic regimes can do whatever they like to make stuff like SMRs happen.

Here in the west it’s not been going so well with the only company that was somewhat close to market getting a reality check from their initial customers backing out of the project.

SMRs might get up eventually but the LNP are portraying it as if there are turnkey reactors ready to go and we just need to get on with it, nothing could be further from the truth.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ition-as-future-cancelled-due-to-rising-costs

Every day we wait is another day of blackouts and under supply at the other end of the time line.

Well not if we keep peeking gas plants and coal plants in operation until the void is filled. We need to move in the direction of renewable energy and progressively change over but the LNP doesn’t want to move at all and nuclear is just a delaying tactic to keep coal in operation longer.

If nuclear was such a good idea then why did we hear nothing about it when they were in power? A cynical person would suggest that maybe it’s just something to bash Labor over the head with.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
So you would be happy buying an SMR from China or Russia? They don’t count because autocratic regimes can do whatever they like to make stuff like SMRs happen.

They are in service in Russia and China. Nfi where they were made. That's beside the point. Once again you get your facts completely wrong and try to deflect your own incompetence to some other issue.

Here in the west it’s not been going so well with the only company that was somewhat close to market getting a reality check from their initial customers backing out of the project.

SMRs might get up eventually but the LNP are portraying it as if there are turnkey reactors ready to go and we just need to get on with it, nothing could be further from the truth.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ition-as-future-cancelled-due-to-rising-costs

So your objection is an economic one?

Well not if we keep peeking gas plants and coal plants in operation until the void is filled. We need to move in the direction of renewable energy and progressively change over but the LNP doesn’t want to move at all and nuclear is just a delaying tactic to keep coal in operation longer.

If nuclear was such a good idea then why did we hear nothing about it when they were in power? A cynical person would suggest that maybe it’s just something to bash Labor over the head with.

The problem is that we aren't. In Vic Hazelwood was shut down a few years ago which was way over due. It's original plan for that place was to shut down in the 80's but it had band aid upon band aid till it was shut 5 or so years ago. The problem is there is no base loa 24/7 replacement, same same for every other base load power plant that shuts down. I don't see anybody commissioning a coal plant ever again in Aus. Gas should be on the table but probably won't so here we are.