Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jh_vn

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
I thought so too, but the guy at Australian Clutch seemed adamant about the balance shaft being there for a reason and said something about having tried it when racing sprint cars, etc

I guess he has a point. But I didnt think it would vibrate to the point of ruining input shaft bearings after 500km. hence why i thought flywheel. The dowells that were in the flywheel originally were **** and unmatched, and the bolts I used to bolt FW/PP together were old and rattlegun-worn. So that could have been a cause for unbalance too.

Plus, theres a few ways to put the flywheel on where it will bolt up- but if ya look close enough it only just shows on the edges of one or two holes where it doesnt line up perfectly. I figured out the only un-mistakable way this arvo and have marked it. Cant get it wrong this time.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hope it's sorted this time!

Then you can come round and help me pull mine out to fix the vibrations I have had to deal with for a year now :p

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Maybe in a month the VNs wheels can touch the ground again, been slack lately.

Dad has a big box of 1mm thick lead sheets, we'll just stick it to / fill in everything that vibrates or resonates. It'll give your car moar-low too haha :thumbsup:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Maybe in a month the VNs wheels can touch the ground again, been slack lately.

Dad has a big box of 1mm thick lead sheets, we'll just stick it to / fill in everything that vibrates or resonates. It'll give your car moar-low too haha :thumbsup:

If you could make me a new flexplate out of those sheets that would be great lol

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
3 months on and.. not much has happened

the flywheel was out of whack by a lot when i sent it to get shadow balanced to the flex plate. people that tell u that all flywheels for vns2,vp,vr are the same they are full of absolute ****.

If youre doing a manual conversion of a motor that is externally balanced, Always get the flywheel shadow balanced to the flex plate. I dont know why it took me so long to find that one out, ive been to about 5 engine shops and ACS and none of them mentioned that, besides Chris Miltons - who actually, properly, know what theyre doing.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You need more motivation, I will bring up some beer one night and we can get it sorted :p

BrokWoods

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 Ute
This is awesome. One of my faveourite VNs . Well done mate, VERY clean. Getting hard to find clean VNs now-a-days.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Cheers fella!

It runs, Its done 1,000ks and I cant fault it. Apart from the lifter noise. but screw that, it can tick away. The cam and lifter rollers were in good nic and ive got 60psi at hot idle on 15w40 so its alll good.

Did a big fat run through murry bridge and gorge road last night, no leaks from what i can see. Apart from the heater core. Ill get to that later. Its so much better to drive now as a 5 speed. Sounds better too, much less drone

The next step is the skirts, and maybe,, something a little special in the works for the future too..