Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jiggling

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hey guys,

When im going downhill and want to brake gently from 80kmh to 60kmph speed limit my steering wheel jiggles? I was like wtf! So I checked my brake pads and they seem ok, so wat you guys thinks it could be? My mechanic says the steering is in top condition as i replaced the steering rack/rod a whiles ago.

Do you think its the brake disces might be on the way out or do i need to resurface it. If i do wat is the cost?

Thanks in advance.

D

Dellboy999

about $25 a disc to get machined if they are not below min thickness of course.

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
go n get your radius rod bushes checked out...

i had the exact same prob n i went n changed my rod bushes n afta that it
was sweet as...

costs about $150-170 any place you go.

grath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec S2
This is probably a long shot... but make sure ur wheel nuts are tight. My friend had a Mitsu Mirage and had a strange vibration/knocking sound from his car whenever he touched the brakes. Worth doing the simple check before ya spend cash looking at other things

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It is almost certainly brake shudder, = I'll second a (front) disc machine or replacement. Virtually every VN- Commodore I have ever driven does it to a greater or lesser degree. Worst when the brakes are hot, most noticeable with light pedal application and not apparent at all below about 80km/h unless it is really bad. Sound like what your car is doing?

It is due to uneven wear on the disc rubbing surface resulting in the thickness varying around the disc, which you feel through the pedal as the caliper piston moves back and forth to compensate.

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
if everythin seems 2 b in place n all, get a nife n put a little split in your brake pads. Not to deep and not too long (leave just over 1cm on each side).

This helped reduce brake shudderin for me n a few friends with commo's.

but wat cheap6 said is prob the 1st thing u should check out. Just get them machined, not expensive n its good neways, so its a win win situation... make sure u got enough mm on the discs left to machine otherwise, New ones & EXPENSIVE.
(its most probably ur front discs)

C

CustomVS

Get wheel balance and alignment done, main cause for brake shuddering, you should be able to feel your discs and pads when braking so you should know if they are getting low or are worn......