Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Job - Primary School Teacher

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the current/future availability would be to become a Primary School Teacher in a CITY? My girlfriend currently is doing ChildCare at a fairly respectable place which also has an old people home etc. anyway. She's 21 and on $39,000 a year. She's wanted to become a Primary school teacher or a Special needs teacher/carer since she was young. So she's thinking about going to uni.

My question is, what are the chances of her getting a permanent job as a teacher? Awhile ago there was a shortage of teachers but is there now/future? I don't mind moving states etc but I don't want to work in the sticks.

Anyone got opinions? She hasn't wanted to go back to study but she recently said she might start go back because Childcare isn't going to pay for her future.

If there any career paths other than Teaching if you can't get a job? I mean I'm doing double major - Accounting & Finance with Minor Professional Accounting w/ emphasis on Taxation. So I've got quite a big field if I don't like say Accounting. But if she does her 4yrs of teaching and can't get a job that would really suck.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I reckon she is going to have to get in line to score a job in the city.

When I went to uni, teaching used to be viewed as the career you took when you couldn't get a job anywhere else, or your grades weren't good enough to get into your preferred course. Don't know about now though.

What were her school grades like?

Figure out what she is good at, and then narrow the field according to income and job security.

Like you said, no point going to uni like everyone does these days if you don't get anything out of it.

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
My partner is at uni doing education/arts, and a high school teacher out of the city is an almost guaranteed job. As for the city, she says chances are good too, but it is more competitive. Would she/both of you look at regional centres as well?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
My partner is at uni doing education/arts, and a high school teacher out of the city is an almost guaranteed job. As for the city, she says chances are good too, but it is more competitive. Would she/both of you look at regional centres as well?

Nop not for me anyway, don't think for her either.
I've heard that regional schools you have a good opportunities and good money too but I couldn't move from the city. I'd move interstate but I'd need to be near a fairly large city. My goal is to get a job in the heart of the city, that's the best place to advance and earn good money (I think anyway) other than working for mining companies in whoop whoop lands.

Edit: She wants to teach/work with children. She wants to become a Permanent teacher because she likes the thought of paid holidays & long service leave early otherwise she could become a teacher assistant, She wants to be able to have holidays of with her kids (in the future!). She likes childcare but I don't think she'll want to do that for the rest of her life, and there's not much opportunity for advancement, she was going to do her diploma in childcare but the payrate would change by $1 or $2 per hr, her sister has diploma and the responsibility you have for the extra $1 isn't worth it in her opinion.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Well you can't have it both ways.

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice something to earn decent money.

Edit - you have to look at this with some sense. You are both in a field where you are literally competing with thousands of others. You simply are not in any position to dismiss something that is outside a city as you will be disadvantaging yourself if you do. Many people have to get a job in a place they don't like (I had to) just to get a start, then things will get better.

Last edited:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Well you can't have it both ways.

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice something to earn decent money.

Edit - you have to look at this with some sense. You are both in a field where you are literally competing with thousands of others. You simply are not in any position to dismiss something that is outside a city as you will be disadvantaging yourself if you do. Many people have to get a job in a place they don't like (I had to) just to get a start, then things will get better.

I see were your coming from.
I'm not going to be working in the City straight away, I'll have to move up the stages aswell.
I won't be forced into the country with my job (I hope haha).
The thing is, I'm not sure if it's the career she ACTUALLY wants or if it's just the holidays & pay. EVERY female at some stage wants to become a teacher you know.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
There's no money in teaching. It's why most teachers are so crap! They aren't paid enough. Like polititians, teachers need to be paid a LOT more to attract the intelligent people to the jobs. Until then, we get incompetence.

ShadowMyst86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
In Queensland teaching positions are determined on a points system. For instance, working in a regional centre might earn you 2 points a year. Getting to a metropolitan centre like Brisbane, might take 20-25 points. After 10 years, the points are deleted and you start again. So, usually the experienced teachers are the ones who end up in the good positions. Not sure about Western Australia but the system is pretty generic.

That said, Catholic education is a way to get into metro centres more easily, sometimes. Also, sometimes less experienced teachers are lucky enough to work in metro centres due to a school needing someone right then and they are available.

I am starting at my 5th school in 2 and a half years because most schools contract a teacher for a while and then move them on because there is not enough space to make them permanent. Whilst it isn't ideal, there are a lot of people I know who can't land a job because they won't move. Turning down offers moves you to the bottom of the list for offers and sometimes you aren't offered for a long period of time for turning down placements.

Good luck with it. If she is certain about teaching, moving to the sticks is a real possibility.

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
There's no money in teaching. It's why most teachers are so crap! They aren't paid enough. Like polititians, teachers need to be paid a LOT more to attract the intelligent people to the jobs. Until then, we get incompetence.

thats just a stupid comment, most teachers are NOT crap, and rest assured no amount of money will give you an intelligent politician, ie, current Vic government.

cracker

Reaction score

my mother takes home $64000 a year, working 4 days... its not too sad
8.30am-4pm, 4 days a week, 8weeks holidays, dont be stupid its good money, the conditions are great, the hours are even better.