Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jobs+apprenticeships

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
hey guys
I was thinking about getting an apprenticeship as a mechanic,but after reading some threads on it and hearing about it and the money you get im not so sure. I'm 18 in Nsw,but ive made a few mistakes with a loan + credit and i can't afford to live off around $7h/r haha.

I recently moved states and i don't even have a job right now..pretty silly mistake not finding work here before moving haha..had to move with family though.

Can anyone suggest a decent job/apprenticeship were i can earn roughly about $400 a week or something around that mark?

Ive been applying everywhere hehe.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Im not sure, many apprenticeships are very low paying at first, maybe you could try and hang in on an apprenticeship for a while till it gets better?

You could always work some labor that pays well, just for a little while so you can pay off your debt and find an apprenticeship later on when your debts are lower.

I only say do labor because from my experience, Last year, when I was 17 saving for my car, I worked packing/unpacking scaffolding orders in a warehouse in the holidays and I was earning something like 800 a week from working 8 hours a day plus a little bit of overtime. It was very good pay for my age and I was saving money big time.

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
sparkys get that wage normally. why dont you just do labourer work till you work off your loan then get an apprenticeship.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Manual labor as in like Brick laying and things like that? $800 would be amazing! haha

My debts are roughly $1500 , including credit card,music instrument loan + money owing to family members so its not too bad i guess..but it still annoys me lol.

lol so true axemurderer

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'd be looking at what a somebody fully qualified earns in whatever particular trade you are interested in and then decide from there. If it pays what you want/need then do whatever it takes to survive thru the apprenticeship till then. Basing your whole career on what the first year or two earn is just daft.

Reaper

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
sparkys get that wage normally. why dont you just do labourer work till you work off your loan then get an apprenticeship.

That would be fine to do as long as you don't wait till your 21 because very few 21yr olds get taken on as apprentices due to the higher pay rate the boss has to pay

southy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suzuki Swift GTI
i got an apprenticeship as a mechanical fitter and its 480 a week for a first year

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
$1500 is nothing
Mate get your apprenticeship pays ****.... work a few hours nightfill at woolies something to fill in and a little extra cash

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Yeah you guys are right ,probably should go for an apprenticeship and then get a 2nd night job :)

so would a apprentice sparky earn more than a apprentice mechanic or does it really depend on the place?

southy-wow $480 sounds really good for the first year! And whats a mechanical fitter? Im guessing it's not the base level of mechanical apprenticeships right?

And ill appreciate all your help and suggestions so far everyone :)