Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VY SS Ute Project (Jimi Hendrix)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Nice work. Funny you should mention things flying about in the tub. My old VR everything had to be tied in or it would slide everywhere, even after I carpeted the tub base but with the VE I can leave a empty or full 5L jerry can in the tub and drive to work and back and the flaming thing stays upright the entire time and doesn't even appear to move. I can not for the life of me work out how this is possible considering all I have on the base is a shag pile rug.
I think it is the law of tie-downs. If you have them available **** stays put - if you have useless ones like those in the VY/VZ then is slides around like no tomorrow. Now I have the tie downs sorted and a working barrier system you can bet once I put in the carpeted flooring system there will be no need for it!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I trust everyone had a great Christmas

Welded up the barrier for the tub today and mounted it the ute.

I failed to think through the second and third order effects of my design so there are a couple of minor changes I would make if I did it again. The design issue is that I centred the mount for the rail from the front face instead of the rear face. Because of this if I turn the barrier around it impinges on the hard cover strut mount. I had to add another rivnut 25mm towards the rear of the tray to overcome it. Not a big deal; however, a design issue I should have thought through.

View attachment 246200
From here you can see the position I expect it will be located most of the time. Easy enough to shove small purchases in that will not move about the tray. I have some bungies, small tie downs etc to secure items to the barrier of required. On the cab side of the barrier (in its current position) I will add some clips for a wheel brace and the spare wheel lowering/raising brace. I do need to make up a small box for the trolley jack as well.
View attachment 246201
There are four mounting points at this stage, fully to the rear (out of the way), where it is shown, forward of the hard lid strut mount and almost to the front of the tray. The barrier can be mounted forward or rear facing at all points bar the fully forward one. This gives me seven different cargo positions. I can add more rivnuts if required, but will work the system for a while before I go adding anything.

I have identified some M8 tiedown rings that I will use as required in the vacant mounting holes as required to hold light loads. Heavy loads will be tied down using the wagon tied down rails. I have to make the ply floor inserts and modular drawer system yet. I will make a smaller barrier system (similar design) that will sit on top of the drawer units as well.

I need to find some 30 x 30, 25 x 25 and 75 x 25 end caps to tidy it up, purchase some M8 knobs (currently using stainless socket head bolts) and give it all a paint. But for the time being it is fully functional and works a treat.

Cost:
$20 worth of M8 rivnuts (nutserts)
$10 worth of 25mm SHS
$10 worth of 75 x 25mm RHS
Upcycle gal barrier from an old trailer

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
You’ll also fit a VE/VF sedan boot cargo net on the mesh adding even more storage without taking up space.

59131766-1013-4AE1-BC1E-DAEDF7C71641.jpeg

EA093F3A-6AA9-4192-8697-0302ED1F7FF8.jpeg

2B316375-C3D4-47A0-B231-CD00F4342D14.jpeg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
On my hard lid, I added tie down to the brackets for the lock and the struts. They have been amazing for holding the lid down with bigger loads every now and then.

I also can stretch a similar net across the four points of the lids underside and stash my jumper or lighter things like Saftey vest etc.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I posted pictures of the hard lid somewhere.