Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just a couple of general ve questions

Hasslesnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais wagon ser1
Hi All,

just joined the forum and returning back to Australia after 18 years overseas and about to be behind the wheel of a holden again after that long(I had a Camaro but that doesn't count) had a bit of a search on the VE sticky but could not really find answers.
picked up a 2009 calais v wagon with the 3.6 in it to use for touring and catching up with friends and relatives all over the country so just a few questions before I pick it up later this month after returning. Not sure for how long so not going excessive.
looking at having a basic tool kit with me and some spares (mechanic originally) and wondering if GMH is using Japanese metric or European metric or still a combination on their vehicles, ie 8,10,10,12,14,17,19 or 8,10,13,16,18 etc . I believe they stopped using imperial but please correct me if I am wrong. I fail to see the need to lug around a full socket/spanner set when only a small amount would be needed.
Idler pulleys also used to be an issue on the 3.8 Buick motor and are they still problematic at all on the 3.6?spare belt obviously would be in the kit.
Also, the car has no Nav, but has bluetooth phone and steering wheel controls so I was going to look at the plug in module for the bluetooth streaming, I am unsure if I can post links to the products, it seems to be a plug and play behind the glovebox. Has anyone had any experience with these units before? I am not ,looking for doof doof but just to stream Spotify whilst driving. Possibly if back permanently can look at upgrading to the IQ system.

thanks in advance and take care

Clay

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Metric bolts throughout.
Dont bother with IQ. Go aftermarket and bring modern features to the car. Spotify is an app that works on Apple CarPlay. Get your maps on there too with Google maps.

Hasslesnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais wagon ser1
Thanks Fu Manchu,

exactly what I was after, found a few threads on the aftermarket stereo install so it seems like the way to go, as long as I still have the steering wheel functions etc as Oz seems to really have cracked down on anything phone wise now in a vehicle.

cheers
Clay

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
metric or still a combination on their vehicles, ie 8,10,10,12,14,17,19 or 8,10,13,16,18 etc
And 15mm
There are a few 15mm & 19mm bolts on the VE's

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
And 15mm
There are a few 15mm & 19mm bolts on the VE's
Bane of my existence as most metric sets don’t come with 15mm so you need to buy it separately. :mad:

Like why the af they couldn’t just use even numbered metric like the Japanese manufacturers do is beyond me.

Edit: If I was your Prime Mincer I would ban all fasteners except even numbered hex heads (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, etc) and Philips head screws.

There’s just no valid reason for any of the other fasteners we see like uneven metric, imperial, torx, tamperproof torx, etc!

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Hasslesnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais wagon ser1
agree completely with all sentiments, especially the Torx bit aspect. I was concerned they may have put a 15mm in there but I am sure I have a few sockets and spanners still in the kits from working on the European stuff for a while. yep just stick with Japanese metric which is 90% of all vehicles on the road now really.
additionally, I questioned about the idler pulley and tension pulley for the drive belt, we used to replace the original plastic ones on the 3.8 with the aftermarket metal units with the replaceable 6203 bearing inside. did they upgrade to something stronger on the 3.6 or just keep some in the kit as spare and do in the field if necessary.
cheers for the heads up
Clay

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Buggered idler pulleys are really going to be an issue. If one is flogged, you’ll have plenty of warning.

Plastic v metal isn’t going to be a thing anymore. Just stick to what is on there.

Do have a spare water pump because all water pumps are made to the lowest standards possible now.