Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just a few questions about car audio

J

JUDDO13

hey all,
well i have all my audio gear its not top of the line or anythink but it should be a decent entry level system
im planning on starting my install tis saturday and wanted to know a few things::
anyways i just want to know if im able to use general speaker cable to hook up my subs to my amp or do i need special cable?
also i was wondering for ideas since im boxing my whole boot up and i want to keep the spare wheel i want to know how i can do this still using the original spot where the spare wheel sits aswell?
cheers
justin

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Speaker wire you will here much debate about. In short, you can use it. If in doubt, use two lengths :)

Try different box mocked up out of cardboard and see whats going to work for you.

J

JUDDO13

ohk yeh good idea
wat do u mean by use 2 lenghts tho that kinda confuses me oh and btw ill be having 2 12 in subs that are 800watt powered by a bridgable 1000 watt 4 way amp(which i will bridge into a 2way)

Shaneus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
by 2 lengths 12V means have to lengths coming from the same channel insted of one. fo in total you will have 4 lengths 2 from + of the amp to the + of the subs and the same for the -

STL.THY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP.S2 Berlina with VS.S3 V6 5spd S/C
you can buy kits that will suit your sound system at auto barn and of ebay other wise go and have a look at autobarn for instance or an other audio joint at their various cables and ask about which ones best for you

STL.THY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP.S2 Berlina with VS.S3 V6 5spd S/C
note that some cheap cables and wires etc will pick up car noise and feed it through the speakers...kinda strange when you got ben benassi satisfaction thumping then you get your gear shift comen through...cheaper ones just arnt protected/shielded enough

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
stl.thy: cheap wires has nothing to do with it. thats a bad installation!

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Im gonna partially disagree with you garfa, speaker wires dont matter, but RCA's are different. Twisted pair RCA's have superior noise rejection qualities to non twisted. It is not always possible to route RCA's from interference sources and in some instances RCA's can pick up noise. This is not however strictly a cost argument, as TP are cheap and pretty much standard these days arent they? Point is get twisted RCA's if you havent already bought any, its easier that way. This is not to say that non Twisted RCAs will pick up noise though, just they are more susceptible.

Having said that, Garfa is right, noise problems are generally caused by install, eg poor grounding etc

the executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN 5spd 3.8
hey guys sorry to move in on this thread..but ive done searching and cant find my answer ...all i wanna know is that can i run tweeters and crossovers using my stock speakers and no amp...i know its silly but not working at the moment so cash is low....