Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just A Stupid Question

T

Tony

as you can see in the picture, i wanna take that off and paint it white, where can i find out what what shade of white my car is, and what sort of paint would i have to use? Would i need any special tools to do it that i could hire out?
thanks for any replies.

stretch

Just Commodores Shop
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Saloon Car
If you look inside your boot lid you will see approx. 8x8mm nuts holding that piece on. If you unscrew them you can take it off and it might already be white underneath. All that you might need to do is give it a bit of a polish and "whammo"
done. You might find the color on the ID plate under the bonnet or if that is not the original color then you could take your petrol cap off and get it matched to your color.
You will have to ask a painter if it is either enamel or acrylic and you can get them in pressure pack cans and you can do it yourself. The cans are not that expensive.
Are you putting that piece back on or are you leaving it off?

T

Tony

i'll be putting it back on, I've seen some VP's around with a white back and it looked pretty cool, so i thought i'd give it a go.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If you can get it done post some pics up.
Cheers Dave

T

Tony

definitely.
another thing i'm thinking of doing if i somehow screw it up is to get a statesmen backing from the wreckers or holden (which ever is cheaper) and then to chuck that on. But i really wanna paint my backing white, i've seen it done and it looks pretty trick. Thanks for the info guys as well, i'll look into it really soon and post up pic's when ive done it.

T

TBAct

I dunno what sort of white that it is on the VP, but there is a paint code on a plate in your engine bay.... find out what this code is, and then decipher it from there (ie phone up Holden customer relations, they're nice ppl).

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
QUOTE (Commodore @ Apr 18 2004, 01:32 PM) That's Alaskan White mate.
Yeah with the VPs they did use Alaskan white, unlike the VNs were Alpine white. I don't they used Arcylic back in those days, just enamel or whatever paint with clear coat.

Cheers,
Jim

skarekrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute M6
The paint code for alaskan white on a vp in the shops is PJ2060, but somehow it seems 2 sell out a lot. its a bit hard 2 find, so when u spot some, grab a couple of cans!
It is acrylic, commodores went to a 2pac paint job from VR series II onwards.

i'd also like 2 see a pic when u r done, its an interesting idea to paint it!

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Me and my mate did the exact same thing to his VN last week.... We went to a car shop and brought the holden color white paint and then took the garnish off then rubbed it bak a little then spray painted it, then put a clear coat over it, Looks great.....we also did it to his front grille and took of the badge.