Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just bought a vk 202 4spd manual, sum questions

Philzorz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 manual
Sup guys, am totally new to the whole doing up a car scene. Always just drove and didnt really care about mechanical work. Neways wanted to get into it and got a 1984 vk 202 4spd manual as a project car with a few mates in the same boat, never worked on a car but keen to get started. the car was only $500 the guy did have it reged but took the reg when he sold it 2 us, it has done 202,000km,s has vk calais rims if i am not mistaken with like 85% tread, lowered (assuming pedders cuz they are red) springs in the front and back and tinted windows. the paint job is this awesome red i havnt seen before, like a lighter red than ur usual, in great condition. Few questions:
1. need to replace the passenger side engine mount as it is looking really ****ty, how much work would be involved in that and any idea of the cost of getting one, either 2nd hand or new.
2. the gearbox wont mesh properly when i try and put it into reverse and about 80% of the time it grinds...any ideas? a friend told me that the vk's always had problems meshing in reverse.
3. Planning on turning the car into a bit of a rally beast, any ideas on where in melbourne i could hunt down a roll cage and a approx cost, apparently vb-vl are all the same cage so i guess shouldnt be impossible to get hold of. Anyways thanks heaps guys and i will post some pics 2morrow and you can tell me if i got ripped :) Take care.

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Engine mounts are under $50 anywhere you go, 3 bolts hold them in. Take the weight off the original mount using a trolley jack and a block of wood covering the sump, when the bolts slide out easily you've got the jack at the perfect height.

Reverse is usually the first gear you'll have problems with when your clutch is out of adjustment/worn preventing it from disengaging completely. Check the adjustment on the clutch cable. If its the box I highly recommend replacing it with a Borg Warner M76 5spd over the Aussie 4spd.

Keen to see pics!

Philzorz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 manual
Ahh okies thats a worry, how much would the 5sp cost me roughly? And seeing i have never really done much on cars the process i assume would be rather involved. Took some pics today, fixed the damn gasket on the rocket cover, god those bolts were a bitch to get back to but managed to get there eventually. Anyways here are some pics of the current state of the car.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am planning on putting a set of extractors on it, once again, never worked on a car so this will be my first shot at it. Is it an extremely involved process? What sort of tools would i be looking at for doing this? And if i was to get a set of pacemaker extractors that i saw on ebay for around 40 bucks do i need to change the rest of the exhaust system? not sure how it all works but am just doing it a step at a time. Was real proud that i managed to do the rocket cover gasket with no supervision :).

Attachments

• Image056.jpg
    Image056.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 786
  • Image057.jpg
    Image057.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,329
  • Image058.jpg
    Image058.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 845

scrabet

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
wow its tidyer then my vs nice pick up for $500:thumbsup:

all you wouls need for the extractors is a socket set and a bit of wd40 to help get the nuts and bolts off,

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
clean as **** for $500, well done. Is it a VK CALAIS???? Its got the chrome strips around the bumpers and door molds....

Philzorz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 manual
nah not a calais cuz the interior isnt calais...unless it's been changed not too sure. Forgot to post pics of the interior but that is also really clean, seats are hardly worn etc.. Only thing was the gear knob came off when i was taking it for a test drive lol that wasnt fun :)

Philzorz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 manual
anyone know is a 350 holley carby will just bolt onto where my one is? or do i need to do some customisations or sumfin? thanks guys, soz for being new to this whole thing.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
anyone know is a 350 holley carby will just bolt onto where my one is? or do i need to do some customisations or sumfin? thanks guys, soz for being new to this whole thing.

Dont bother with a Holley, they just use a heap of fuel and arnt the easiest to tune.
Either go for a 34ADM weber off a ford, search around, on here and on oldholden.com caus its been done to death.
Or go for a rebuilt Varajet II, its a piece of **** to do, its just replacing your carby with a new version of what you already have, its really brang my motor alive, i went from going up hills in first in 1st and 2nd gear, struggling, to spinning the wheels up the hill up to 3rd gear, went to 4th at 40k's and she just powered up the hill nicely, i couldnt believe the difference a rebuilt carby made. You get them on ebay from a seller called suescarby for 140 bux.

For extractors, either pay some one to do it, wait a little while, or get a full system.
The problem with fitting extractors is the diameter will be different, its not a bolt up on job, normally takes a bit of cutting, and either making a sleeve or welding up with a mig. I would personelly wait till you get abit more experience before tackling this, unless you can find a complete system that will all bolt up, not one that needs welding.

[EDIT] Thats a bloody good score for 500bux to, look after it, their a great car when looked after [/EDIT]

Philzorz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 manual
yeah mite get someone to do it for me then, i mean i can figure out minor things but yeh if i gotta start cutting and welding stuff i will be in strife. It currently has a varajet II in it, not sure how old it is or if thats the stock one that comes with it, it read it on the side of the carby when i was changing my air filter. Any tips on some reasonably cheap mods i can do to it that wouldnt require a mechanic?

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
You obviously have a mechanic kind of mind if you never work on cars and did a rocker cover gasket with no help. I mean, they aren't THAT hard, but they aren't the easiest thing you can do either. You will learn quickly. There isn't much to 202 VK's.