Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just bought a VS V6 Exec Series 1, a few questions

damoharrison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Hey guys, this is my first post so hopefully it's a good one. I'm new to the world of owning a Commodore even though I have wanted one for most of my 22 years. I finally got a VS V6 and I am more than happy with it but I have a few small questions. Modifying cars is new to me, though i understand most concepts.

1) I want to upgrade the Air Filter and am looking seriously at a K&N Stock Performance Filter as opposed to a pod-style filter to comply with regulations, are these stock filters worth it in terms of power and fuel ecomony? My engine is stock and I'm wondering what sort of benefits I might gain from this filter.

2) After the air filter should I look at better fuel filters as well?

3) What performance chips are the best to get, I have noticed a number of brands available?

4) To improve my traction after all these power upgrades I'm could do with some suggestions on tire brands and suspension kits as well as some help with diff ratios and the like.

Thanks a lot in advance for any questions anybody can answer. I know I';m asking a lot out of this first post but as I said I'm new to Commodores and modifying cars but I want the best for my car as I intend on having it for a long time.

Regards,

Damien Harrison

damoharrison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Here's a pic

By the way here's a pic of the car. Planning on the Vt-Vr Clubsport Sedan Bodykit from Spoiler Kings in Sydney, if anyone knows where I can get kits round Newcastle then that would be hell.

Attachments

• Photos 006.jpg
    Photos 006.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 161

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
CAI kit and a K&N filter should be your very first mod before you do anything else

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Welcome aboard. :wave: Have a look in the Modification and Development forum, should answer most of your questions. I would recommend a Redline panel filter, about $30 cheaper and there exactly the same.

damoharrison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Thanks for the quick replies and the welcome guys. It's good to have this sort of place where people can bounce ideas off each other.
How much should I pay for a CAI and Redline filter? Assuming I know how to use a spanner, screwdriver and torque wrench (also a workshop manual) would the installation be something I can do myself or am I better to leave it to my mechanics?

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
The best value for money CAI to get is the VS V6 Supercharge CAI. It very easy to install, only need to drill three holes into the plastic shroud above the radiator. If you cut the lower half of the air box to fit the ducting it will save ya some cash to put towards your air filter. CAI without the lower half of the air box should cost between $50 - $60. The panel filter is about $75 and they are reusable.

damoharrison

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1
Sweet, that's cheaper than I thought. I'm focusing on improving the performance before I work too much on the looks, I like it the way it is for now (although I did debadge the exec and commodore badges today, though i left the lion and the holden ones cause they look still look good to me). Is it possible to leave this thread open so I can use it to update you all on my progress?