Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just bought my first Commodore !!

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
Hi all, just bought a 2004 Series II VY Equipe and am wondering what some good mods would be to do to it ?
I'm on my green Ps' so can't do any forced air induction mods, but keen to change the exhaust.

Keen to hear what everyone's done to their cars. Pics would be much appreciated.

BTW, I'm a second year apprentice mechanic so am pretty handy with the tools and not afraid to get my hands dirty doing mods myself.

Thanks in advance ;)

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Check out the "Show off your ride" part of the forums for pictures of what people have done to their cars. As for what mods to do, there's a plethora of information available on this forum. Just start looking!

Exhaust? Search 'VY Exhaust' or 'Ecotec Exhaust'

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Don't do anything to it , learn to drive safely , just maintain it , and look after it , do not fall into the trap of turning into cop bait .

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Don't do anything to it , learn to drive safely , just maintain it , and look after it , do not fall into the trap of turning into cop bait .

Wait wait. So he shouldn't put stockies on the back with big 20s on the front and an xforce exhaust? Cut the back springs? But, but, but commodore?

:p

No seriously don't turn it into cop bait.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Find a cheap SS inductions Growler ... That will give you a lovely induction sound and a tiny torque increase fairly P plater friendly mod.
Carefully with exhaust you will just become a cop magnet...
Do induction first might be all you need to get the warm and fuzzies. Till you get off Ps

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
anything you decide to do, dial it back after you find what you want - when you are a young P plater you instantly become labelled as a hoon, fly under the radar.

So say for example you think 20" rims are sick, dial them back to 18", exhaust - you think 3" is full mang, dial it back to 2" or 2.5" and make sure everything is legal.

If you want to try and update the power, do that last - improve your suspension and brakes FIRST but don't use the cheapest fulsik lowering kit you find on ebay). Make your car ride well, don't make it just another bogan, ebay p plate cop bait mobile.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Basically everyone is saying don't become this bloke:

UBejLOd.jpg

R

Risky

As Gaiter & the others have said: Don't be cop bait! (love that pic Gaiter btw)

You're a 2nd year apprentice so don't blow your wages on something you don't need to impress your mates. It's your car not theirs. Make sure all the mechanicals are up to scratch including the brakes. A $3000 sound system wont save you in a crash but a decent service/upgrade to your suspension/tyres/brakes will save you.

If you're wanting to lower it, do the research first. Spend what you can afford to do with quality parts or you wont have a quality ride.

Don't go OTT on an expensive sound system. Most guys tend to start with the stereo first & leave the mechanical side last and then they wonder why their sound system is worth more than their car. Plus you don't want to attract guys who'll break into your car & rip out your stereo only to see it at cash converters a week later at a fraction of the price you paid for it.

The "Show off your ride" section will provide you with ideas that will help you. Any questions you have on someone's ride, send them a message or leave a note where they've posted their ride. The guys here wont bite.... well, maybe lol.

Some parts are difficult to get hold of. Always try the Holden dealer spares section first & then compare prices on eBay etc. If you're thinking down the track that leather seats are the go, be prepared to pay big money for them (took me 8 months to find a decent set near where I live). There are some good companies that sell New Old Stock (NOS) that they bought ages ago. Good for replacing trim & most of these companies are located in Melbourne.

Beware of buy/swap/sell sites on FB. If it sounds to good to be true, then it is. For example, someone selling a set of rims but only posts a pic of one rim. Guaranteed, that the other 3 are either got gutter rash or other damage. From my own experience I got hit when a seller said his VE SS/SV6 rims were bored out to fit my VY ute & they weren't. He swore that they would fit. Lucky I fixed that myself.

As the other guys have said, drive safely. Make sure you know your cars limits don't act like a hoon or a bogan as that's a quick way of causing yourself & others injuries & possibly a fatality(ies). Plus the cops will have you marked & it'll give them an excuse to pull you over all the time frustrating you.

Don't spend too much on it (I had a V8 like that. I needed shares in BP for the fuel). You have a V6 so class it as a cruiser & if you want a V8, start saving so when you're on your full licence, you'll be able to afford one.

If you're unsure of anything, use the search function here as it would have been covered. The "How To's & "Stickys" are a great read if you need info.

Most of all, enjoy your first car as it's the one you'll always remember in years to come. My first was a $500 '73 HQ wagon 202 with 3spd manual column shift. Every panel had more hits than Elvis. I had it for 12 months & it taught me a lot. I still have great memories carrying my boards & cruising up the coast and camping out at beaches.