Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just bought SV6, having a little trouble. Looking for advice

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Hey guys,

So I posted last week looking at SV6's and anyway, long story cut short, I bought one over the weekend.
It was a Series 2, in Black with 115k's.
Anyway, I took it for a good drive before buying and all seemed well. There was a few cosmetic problems so I ended up bartering down from 11k to 9.5k.

Drove it home and after about 40kms (50kms home trip) I started hearing a rattle/ticking noise.
It started getting worse the heavier I accelerated... I had a look at the oil and the dipstick was really hard to read, either the oil was super light in colour or it wasn't there but I didn't want to go throwing more in just in case I over flowed it.

Any ideas on what this might be?
I am obviously going to get a mechanic to look at it this week when I get some time and in the meantime still driving my crappy Ford to work.
Yes, it came with RWC. But it's my own fault for not getting it inspected. This much I know. So if we move past that, any advice? Anything I can try myself before I take it in ?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I thought there are sensors to warn you when oil is low?

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Do you think it's safe trying to top it up? If I do, what should I look out for?
I've done full oil changes before but never top ups in the VE.
I was going to get a mechanic to do the full service on it, but if I can get away with just putting oil in myself I'll do that for the meantime.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully you have learned a lesson.
The absence of oil on the dip stick may indicate that it was serviced with a very light (viscosity) oil - probably inappropriate OR the vehicle has a very poor service history + insufficient oil in the sump !!. If so, then you could be in for some serious issues. Hope it all works out OK for you.

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully you have learned a lesson.
The absence of oil on the dip stick may indicate that it was serviced with a very light (viscosity) oil - probably inappropriate OR the vehicle has a very poor service history + insufficient oil in the sump !!. If so, then you could be in for some serious issues. Hope it all works out OK for you.

If this something you think I might be able to do myself or would I be best to leave to someone else?

And oh boy yes I've learnt haha.

kandlrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94 v6 sedan
Take it in to a mechanic for a service and full check over asap. Do not do it yourself. Also yes they have an oil pressure sensor that brings a code up on the dash, but the sensor may be faulty.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Why not drain the oil and measure what comes out.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Hopefully its not gunked and slowly destroying the chains.... Recommend adding a bottle slick 50 to an oil change with full synth 5w30 oil ... Manged to ungum and recover my Alloytec 190 without dramatic engine works this way..
Good luck....