Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just some questions - First Car. (VY S II Ute)

lmolo6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II S-pack Ute
Hey lads!

So I bought my first car the other day (VY Series II S-pack ute) and I have a few questions!

1. I like the S-pack front bar but in my opinion but it doesn't push all of my buttons. If I were to get a SS front bar with the fog lights, Wouldn't the car look.. incomplete without the skirts and rear bar?

2. The car came with Pedders.. Lows? Im not sure. But the car isn't all that low and I get the often "Is your car in the stratosphere?" from my mates who also have the typical P plater commodores (Lowered on its guts etc). Anyway, The point to the question is; If I were to lower it more, say.. SSL? what would I have to do (other than buying the springs) to go about it? Also, What brand would do you guys recommend. King Springs?

3. I have the SS Air Induction Kit aswell, Obviously it has a bigger mouth than the stock v6 one but I thought I could use it to an advantage, Maybe a bigger manifold spacer?

4. I wanted to get an opinion on changing my spark plugs, leads and coil packs. Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks guys, I may have some more questions in the near future.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Your first car.....before you go lowering & modifying it to keep you mates happy........How are the brake pads and discs?........ When was the brake fluid changed last ?....... Has the radiator coolant been changed lately ?...... You got good tyres on it ?.......Wheel alignment OK ?.........Battery good ?........Any dings that need fixing ?

lmolo6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II S-pack Ute
Your first car.....before you go lowering & modifying it to keep you mates happy........How are the brake pads and discs?........ When was the brake fluid changed last ?....... Has the radiator coolant been changed lately ?...... You got good tyres on it ?.......Wheel alignment OK ?.........Battery good ?........Any dings that need fixing ?

Yeah haha, They were the first things I did, Flushed the radiator, changed the rotors and brake pads and break fluid (Front rotors were a tad warped) - Changed the oil and oil filter, air filter, the battery is brand new. It's booked into a shop for an overall inspection on monday.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yeah haha, They were the first things I did, Flushed the radiator, changed the rotors and brake pads and break fluid (Front rotors were a tad warped) - Changed the oil and oil filter, air filter, the battery is brand new. It's booked into a shop for an overall inspection on monday.

Well done. Sorry I can’t give any advice on springs, etc.
Cars are like women , your first car is like your first real girlfriend, you will always remember them, and in time you will realise that trying to modify the behaviour, appearance and performance of either or both is not worth the effort.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I wouldn't rush into modifying it , learn to drive safely , learn your car , and how to maintain it , mods can come later .