Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just wondering how rims are repaired

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
same as title just wondering how rims are repaired like gutter rash and stuff whats involved and whats the general cost.

thanks

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
bog the rims and paint them white *points at social*

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
yeah i thought it was machined i just said repaired cause it covered everything :) anyone eva had this done?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
depends on what the damage is and what type of rims lips can be rerolled if they have dents. Some rims can be widened and offset changed i know that doesnt cost much about $50 per wheel. Ive even seen a amg alloy rim been welded but i know i wouldnt do that

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
does anyone know how much machineing costs and where in adelaide they do it

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
i restored my 17" alloys over xmas, they came up really good,

basically what did was this
1)had the tyres removed (which isnt necessary you can tape them up) & do the restore with your rubber still on the rim & in fact i would recommend doing this because you will save yourself about $80 in getting the rubber removed and refitted (thats $20 a wheel $10 to remove & $10 to refit) - i removed the rubber off the 2 front ones and did the 2 back ones with the rubber on, much of a muchness really. but easier with the rubber off but not much
2) i got some 400,800,1200,1500,2000 wet and dry, probably 2 sheets of each
3) use the course stuff to smooth down any really rough areas & get the surface nice and even, then tidy it up with the finer stuff,
4) when you have sanded out all of the scratches etc, wash down with clean water and dry your wheels
5) time to under coat with an etch primer ($15 a can, for 4 wheels probably need 2 cans)
6) when your primer has dried, sand it back with your 1200 or 1500 wet & dry until its a nice smooth finish
7)wash your wheels down & dry off to ensure a nice clean surface your now ready to paint
i used VHT wheel paint (silver) but you can use any acrylic paint if you want a different colour.
but i would estimate 3 cans (3 coats each wheel)for 4 wheels

all it it took me just over 2 days and cost me ~$100 and the wheels look as good as new

if you get any runs when painting, use your 2000 wet and dry to sand back the run (when dry) and go again,

well worth it imo, my wheels were in reallly poor condition & they came up looking really good

Last edited:

deviot

Reaction score
Would u be able to post a pic of what it looks like now because I'm really interested in doing something like this to my wheels.

mofo sixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 auto
Would u be able to post a pic of what it looks like now because I'm really interested in doing something like this to my wheels.

yea no worries i took photos from start to end, i will post them up later when kids are in bed :p

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
is this how its done if u get it done professionally ? i thought they would have to add metal to badly damaged areas by welding and then grind it smooth ?