Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"k" frame confusion...????

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I used my original k frame and rack. I had a 202 and have a 304 now with CAE Headers. It's a tight fit to get them in but they're sitting comfortably now. I'd go a Vn-Vs kframe and power steering if I had to do it again though to give me more room

Daniel
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I Converted my 202 manual steering to power steering and the Intermediate shaft is shorter than the manual one.VLs have a different powersteering rack than VH so the shaft is different.

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
if you're planning on going EFI 5L, then I'd suggest using a later VN-VS k-frame and steering rack, otherwise you are going to run into steering rack clearance issues with the headers. I've got a VS k-frame in mine

Question for you Darren
What if i am wanting to use a manual steering rack ( not power steering ) on the original vk k-frame with the later model vn-vs v8 motor? Same clearance issue? I have a VR V8 k-frame, does the manual vk rack bolt to that?
Cheers

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
vk rack wont bolt to the later k frame cant comment on fitment of the 304 on original non power steer setup though

Fair enough mate, i may just have to bite the bullet and do some work to see if it fits myself lol

Cheers