Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N or OTR

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
hence why you clean them derr?

It's still going to be letting a whole heap of dirt into your engine, which isn't my cup of tea.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
It's still going to be letting a whole heap of dirt into your engine, which isn't my cup of tea.

true ...

so what is the best ?

I live in .... practically a Desert ... what is the best filter ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
well said, if you live in dusty conditions you need a filter which will catch all the crap. Good quality paper filter for you, replaced yearly or 6 monthly if real bad.
Personally i live in Sydney, very little dust here, and i use a lukey washable air filter. Don't know how that would work for you, but paper will do fine.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Long story short, being caught near the fires has meant the airfilter needs replacing on the ve. Thought I may as well change to a k&n panel replacement or an otr. Can you let me know what is going to be the more worth while option? Cheers

Bigfut , what actually happened to your filter ? full of smoke or were you close enough that it got damaged by heat ?

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
Bigfut , what actually happened to your filter ? full of smoke or were you close enough that it got damaged by heat ?
We were on the Hume just after they closed it (they closed it behind us) so we were driving through thick smoke for about 2 hours, so its turned dark grey in colour, so thought I'd better replace it

howzat_96

Reaction score
give drift filter a try its cheaper than k&n

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
I'd recommend OTR if you can stretch your money for it. It's a more efficient induction system than a draped over pod off the engine.

As for filters, I've used K&N a few times, never had a lot of problems with their filters. I use BMC personally for the motorcycle cause I've had some crap filters for it but that's because I race it mostly. Changing out your filters or cleaning them regularly is a prudant thing to do as much as changing the oil and checking your washer bottle for water. Claims from companies that bloat out that their filters can 'suck' more air and remove more dirt is really not to be taken seriously. It is a sales pitch, nothing more other than to glorify the product in order to sell it over the competitors glorified product. When you buy a filter, look at its construction, try and pull plastic surrounds mildly to see if it has been bonded to the filter properly (don't try to break it though! Just be anal over how well the filter is made). I've found filters to be of poor construction and fail from that rather than their ability to filter air. You'll find most filters on the market have similar efficiences when filtering air. It's just some tend to break prematurely because of dodgy quality.

Jason Statham wisdom - You look after the car, the car looks after you right?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I've had K&N before, but I'm not in a hurry to go back.

My view on the whole thing is if you have a track car, or a heavily modified car where every little last drop of performance matters, you might benefit from a K&N if your engine is starving for air - provided you keep it clean and oiled.

On a car you want maximum reliability and long-term life from, use an OEM filter - because no matter what, it's going to filter more dirt, and on a near-stock engine, I don't you'll get any tangible gains from a K&N. I know I didn't (except a bit of weight reduction in my hip pocket :p)

VE6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE berlina
do these cold air intakes work?? and how much $$ are we talking?

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.