Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ka Laser project.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Laser project.

Well, im gonna start by saying, NO im not crazy! i am not wasting my money on my POS laser, well no more then about 500 bucks anyway.

Basically i have had this little blue coupe laser for 5 years as our paddock basher/ round the house workhorse, and because we got it when i was only young i have grown attached to it .

2773461663_251e55a248_z.jpg

Its in far below average condition, it had done over 400,000 km in the early 90's by the service records in the log book so god only knows how many its done now as the odo goes to 99 999 then goes back to 0, haha fantastic. I have to hand it to the japs, engine has copped an absolute hiding from me, my brothers and the previous owner, (my dads mate) and after all that still starts and runs pretty damn smoothly, shes got the typical laser tapping cranking and blows plenty of blue but never misses a beat, coughs or splutters ect. Cant remember how much i got it for, i reckon it might have been a carton of beer deal, my old man got it for us. Dads mate got rid of it because he crashed it into a tree and bent up the front a little, hence no grill or headlight surrounds, dents ect.

2764504041_0528ec40f8_z.jpg

But recently the Auto trans (awesome, how many old laser were auto and this one just had to have one) has decided to pack it in, well it was more of a forced self destruction from me reving it neutral and bumping the stick, oooooppps. Still moves but is very whiny and you can hear it not wanting to spin on the starter, must have busted a bearing or clutch pack, something terminal nevertheless.

Anyways i got my hands on a KB meteor for next to nothing as it suddenly got oil pressure issues so they stopped driving it. Replaced the oil pump and shes was good as gold, had another laser engine so i robbed the pump off that. The oil pump had cracked and was just pumping into the sump, handy.
The meteor has only done 90,000km which is genuine as far as i can see and the odo actually goes into 6 figures.

So plans are to put all the meteor mechanicals into the laser as they are all still practically new and get the laser back up to a more useable shape. plus the meteor is manual woohoo!.
Why bother? Yeh its not worth it but i have to keep myself ammused somehow, why not just use the meteor instead an get rid of the laser? i hate meteors, they are even uglier then lasers, the boot just looks like an after thought. Plus i like working on something different rather then just my commodores or an old holden in some form or another.

Photo0458.jpg

Photo0459.jpg

Photo0448.jpg

I dont really have any pics of the big job, ill post up the few i have but a few are off my phone so are pretty terrible.

IMG_0891.jpg

And this one is off my phone, had my VK's 202 in the trailer right at the back and the wheel were lifted up pretty high, after tis photo i put the whole VP v6 front end and engine in the back of the trailer as it wont fit in any further then just on the tailgate and the back wheels where lifted so high up you could just spin them by hand hahaha.
Photo0460.jpg

Updates will come as i start doing stuff to it but i have to rebuild a grey motor first an get that out of the way, hopefully by 4th of jan ill be able to rip into it.

Last edited:

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
Hehe, I love little projects like this.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
the jap models came with fuel injection and turbo, if you could pick up one of those motors she'd be an awesome sleeper. there was also a carby turbo model released one of those would be pretty awesome too

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Yeh id love to get my hands on a turbo setup with fuel injection, even a carbie setup would be pretty good, ive been scouting ebay for a while for cheap bits but havent seen anything so far. Will keep looking! But i dont really want to waste too much money on it, but i can see me getting carried away haha.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Hmmmm i have all of the above lying around....... that would be a weapon :D.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Well today i attacked the rust in the hatch, its the only real rust the car has. Its worse then it looks from the outside the whole inner is ruined but you cant see so who cares, i just neutralized it to stop it getting worse and just sprayed over it.

IMG_5256.jpg

On the outside i used some metal mend to fill the holes to make it look a little neater. Its a good car learn on and practice, doesnt matter if it doenst look great cause one it will. Didint have any blue paint so it stayed in yellow undercoat. Ill paint it blue one day but as long as its not getting worse its not a high priority.

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

A few pics of the outside and interior, and the engine bay.

IMG_5265.jpg

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

And how the engine mount is sitting, Nice! front cross member has bowed from impact with the tree, kinda lucky the tree has hit smack bang on the crossmember so the radiator mounts and front end hasnt moved much but it was enough to pop this mount out, the gearbox is where it should be but the crossmember aint, pic makes it look pretty out of whack but its not really bad at all.

IMG_5268.jpg

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Lol yerp, i dont think its ever seen or felt the words TLC, hahaha Poor thing has had a hard life. These Pics arent doing it justice though.