Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keeping my battery charged

PeterPilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 11 5.7
Good morning Folks,
I have a VX series 2 5.7 Clubsport. I am having shoulder surgery soon, and will not be able to drive for atleast 2 months. What is the best way to keep my battery charged? Can I trickle charge the battery in situ or will that damage the alternator and other components. I thought about a solar trickle charger? If I remove the battery from the vehicle, will I lose all my radio and security codes?

Thanks.
PeterPilot

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Just use an automatic trickle charger. On that switches on and off as required.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
as said above, use a good trickle charger with automatic float once full power is reached. I use a Harley-Davidson Charger (Deltron) which is 800ma, it takes forever if battery is low, but can just be left on there and forgotten about for years if you have to, battery still in car and radio settings saved.
Good luck with your surgery.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good morning Folks,
I have a VX series 2 5.7 Clubsport. I am having shoulder surgery soon, and will not be able to drive for atleast 2 months. What is the best way to keep my battery charged? Can I trickle charge the battery in situ or will that damage the alternator and other components. I thought about a solar trickle charger? If I remove the battery from the vehicle, will I lose all my radio and security codes?

Thanks.
PeterPilot

Yeh i can help out
I can pick up the keys and drop it back here and start it every week or so

I promise i wont drive it :undead:

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
The best way is to either take the battery out of the vehicle or disconnect the negative on the battery and trickle charge it. This isolates the electrical system on your car from the trickle charger.
This is how its done in my shop/auto-electrical trade.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
just curious, what is 'trickle charge'? just a young guy trynna learn is all :)

and p.s. good luck with your surgery!!

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Why dont you turn the key every weekend?

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Trickle charging:
Imagine you have a sink full of water with a leaky plug in the bottom. The sink is full but it'll slowly leak out over time through the hole. Now if we put a trickle of water flowing into the sink, topping it up as needed but not over filling, then we always have a full sink

Sink = battery, water = charge
Hope that analogy makes sense

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Also, back on topic, I just picked up a 2 stage charger with float for $63 shipped (free express shipping in aus) on ebay. Just bought a bike so the car isn't going to see much love over summer.

GL for the surgery

97VTSS

Trickle charge is what it says. The charger just trickles a very small charge, 12 volts or so but with a very small current (amps) into your battery. Say your battery charger at full charge puts out say...4 amps, on trickle it may only put out say 800 milliamps. Thats .8 of an amp. The charger only puts out what is required to charge the battery. This is only an example and depends on the charger of course. A trickle is desinged to keep your battery topped up.
Most domestic chargers work on whats called "peak detection" which means the charger recognises when the battery is getting full (peaking) and lowers the current (amps) accordingly until it's charged and then goes into trickle mode. Some more expensive chargers have a two or three stage charge mode as well as a normal mode, but these are mainly used on deep cycle batteries though. There are chargers out there that do everything except make a cappucino and these can be very expensive and not usually used for domestic purposes. I used to use one of thoses little common black wall chargers that you get with portable devices such as portable DVD players and the like on my Harley to keep it charged. It put out about 500 Milliamps (.5 Amps) @ 12 Volts and that kept the battery topped up. There is no reason why you couldn't use one of those on your car.There is no way a trickle charge will charge a flat battery because it just can't put out the current that the battery needs. It would be like eating one sultana every hour when you are hungry, it's just not enough. Disconnect the battery as mentioned above because even with the car turned off the car always finds ways of using your battery and a trickle charge wont do much with it connected. A trick I was told is that when you take your battery out of your car to charge it, raise it of the ground especially if you have concrete or put say, some foam or some type of insulation or even a thick layer of news paper under your battery. It will charge quicker and better because they dont like the cold. Ever noticed when you charge a couple of double A batteries they get warm...well batteries charge with heat in conjunction with the charger if you know what I mean. So keep the little fella warm. Oh, don't top up your battery with water or whatever before you charge it except if the water is below the plates because the charging will more than likely cause it to over flow. Top it up after the charge. Some one did that at my work with an electric forklift and let's just say we had an extremely clean concrete floor the next morning. Get this. A friend of mine once charged a lithium watch battery in his oven for a few minutes and it worked!!! if only for a few days. DONT EVER try to charge any battery like that, because it will probably explode. But you can see in that instance how heat has a big part in charging a battery. Oh and buy the way, don't use your charger to jump start your car, be patient and wait 'till its charged. The charger wont like that because the starter is trying to suck a couple of hundred amps out of something thats only puting out 4 or 5. Guess it would be like trying to suck a golf ball through 10 feet of garden hose. Anyway I hope this has answered any questions that you may or may not have and any that you were or were not thinking about.