Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keeps cutting out

peowpeow

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 V.R under construction
Hay my v6 keeps cutting out and some times wont start. When it wont start there is no spark but than it will sometimes fire and run. When it dose run it will just die but it wont bring up a check engine have checkd that and gives us code 12 all good.
Can the CAS fail and not bring up a check engine or cld it be the coil packs
Thanks

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Most likely the CAS.I have seen them fail and not give an error code.They are a fairly common part to fail and can cause problems similar to what you have described.

chuckie89

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Berlina
mine kept cutting out and after like 10 minutes it would restart and did not log any codes replaced cas and all is good now brand new cas cost me $80

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Hay my v6 keeps cutting out and some times wont start. When it wont start there is no spark but than it will sometimes fire and run. When it dose run it will just die but it wont bring up a check engine have checkd that and gives us code 12 all good.
Can the CAS fail and not bring up a check engine or cld it be the coil packs
Thanks

If there is no spark it can be the CAS or it can even be the ignition module or the coil pack. (Since you have no fault code)
Check the EFI relay see if it works. Put the reds on and you should hear the EFI relay click in. If this relay is faulty there will be no power to the ignition module. Also check the fuse to this relay.
You can test the CAS with a Oscilloscope to see if it produces a constant square wave pattern. But obviously
you would need a oscilloscope. Other wise you would be guessing.

peowpeow

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 V.R under construction
Thanks for the feed back guys just try the process of animation i think the CAS is going to be a good start for now. I have already checked all the fuses and relays they all seam fine and also changed the fuel pump out

trip01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs2 berlina 96 3.8 auto hsv plated
Mine intermittantly cuts out and won't start sometimes. Have replaced the computer so far. Also new key. Reckon it has something to do with the immobiliser. (the red light under the clock on the radio) Can the immobiliser be disconnected without any ill effects ?

Kind Rgds
Dave

trip01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs2 berlina 96 3.8 auto hsv plated
Is the CAS changeout something the home mech can do ?

slywgn1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
yeah mate pretty simple its only a sensor