Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kenwood cd player locked

vs_series III stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series III statesman
i just installed some new pioneer 6.9s into my vs statesman, after i wired my speakers up i went to test them so turned on cd player and it just keeps flashing protect.
ive tried guides off net to fix it none are working and no codes came with the car or instruction manual.

could any1 please talk me through how to unlock it, it is a kenwood KDC-MP6533

THANKS

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
fix your speaker wires. theyre either shorting together, or shorting against the body.

PROTECT is the unit protecting the IC chip from frying.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Its not "locked". There is a problem with the speaker wires, either they are touching each other or one of them is touching metal. Double check your connections at the speaker, also how did you connect them, the stock wiring or ran your own?

"protect" means the head-unit is protecting its amplifier by muting the sound.

EDIT, hakhawk beat me to it ;)

EDIT 2: just read youre other topic, the speaker terminals are most likely touching the metal of the parcel shelf. You really do need spacers, for two reasons: 1) So this problem dosent happen 2) You actually seal the rear of the speaker (magnet side) from the front of the speaker, without doing this the bass output of them wont be anywhere near as good.

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Check that you haven't accidentally connected your speaker's negative wire to the chassis at some point, as the speaker return isn't (or rather, shouldn't be) at ground potential.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Like everyone has beaten me to saying, there is something touching metal that shouldn't be. You probably did something dodgy installing your speakers.
Make sure you use spacers, solder and heatshrink/tape on all joins

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
+1 mate these guys are right. The spacers are 15bucks at repco for the pair, so really isnt too bad.
Cheers.

vs_series III stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series III statesman
thanx all i had a look and some wires were touching the chassis, so zip tied them off it and taped all the wires, then still wasnt working so rang kenwood and had to reset the system now its working perfectly