Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kenwood head unit.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Hi, I brought and fitted a new dmx7022s head unit that is an android one but having problem with radio signal, has anyone else had this problem, the FM band is scratchy in stereo and I'm only 20km from the CBD, mono sounds fine and AM band is fine no noise from the car just when driving around power lines and intersections. So far, I tried a 25dbi booster, new auto antenna, new cables, the booster helped very little. I'm wondering if the head unit is the issue, I wrote to Kenwood they helped not, all they said was get a booster, so went to where I brought it from, they say it's interference and nothing can be done to fix it.

So are these android units built with a weak tuner or is it because of all these new transmitters like 5G, digital TV and so on interfering with FM. I'm sure they don't expect you to listen from your smartphone all the time, do they?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had a Kenwood DPX-5200BT installed 3 years ago and have no issues with receiving FM stations being scratchy at any stage.....So no idea what your issue would be

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Hi, I brought and fitted a new dmx7022s head unit that is an android one but having problem with radio signal, has anyone else had this problem, the FM band is scratchy in stereo and I'm only 20km from the CBD, mono sounds fine and AM band is fine no noise from the car just when driving around power lines and intersections. So far, I tried a 25dbi booster, new auto antenna, new cables, the booster helped very little. I'm wondering if the head unit is the issue, I wrote to Kenwood they helped not, all they said was get a booster, so went to where I brought it from, they say it's interference and nothing can be done to fix it.

So are these android units built with a weak tuner or is it because of all these new transmitters like 5G, digital TV and so on interfering with FM. I'm sure they don't expect you to listen from your smartphone all the time, do they?
What a cop out, 'it's interference and nothing can be done to fix it'.
If that was the case then there would be hundreds of thousands of very unhappy FM radio lovers.
The mob you bought it off have most likely sold you a defective head unit, unfortunately if you fitted it yourself they will fob it off as 'not their problem' as it will be something you did in the installation.

Personally I would consult another reputable Car Stereo shop about your issue.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
I had a Kenwood DPX-5200BT installed 3 years ago and have no issues with receiving FM stations being scratchy at any stage.....So no idea what your issue would be
Old model yours, these units today are small with no cd player, I'm thinking they not using the same parts as they get smaller, it happens around power lines and traffic lights, thanks though, I took the booster off and it not as loud in sounding like your out of range. Looking at trying a genuine antenna these aftermarket ones may be the problem.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Old model yours, these units today are small with no cd player, I'm thinking they not using the same parts as they get smaller, it happens around power lines and traffic lights, thanks though, I took the booster off and it not as loud in sounding like your out of range. Looking at trying a genuine antenna these aftermarket ones may be the problem.

Bought it 3 years ago, so probably out of date..Does have a CD player...Fitted to my VY

Aerial doesn't go up....Only have reception problems when I go well out of town...No other issues.

I even have 2 rail crossings I go over to and from work

Still think it's your unit, rather than anything else

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Mechless head units have been around for at least a decade now. They are not a recent new innovation.
I have a Clarion FZ706 (discontinued) mechless head unit in my Torana and it works perfectly.
If all your attempts to rectify the issue by replacing RF cables, antenna and god knows what else fails then cut your losses and get a Pioneer head unit.
My brother has been in Car Audio sales and installation for well over 30 years. Back when he started Kenwood were a leading brand of high quality equipment. He quit selling and recommending Kenwood some years ago because they had dropped the ball.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Mechless head units have been around for at least a decade now. They are not a recent new innovation.
I have a Clarion FZ706 (discontinued) mechless head unit in my Torana and it works perfectly.
If all your attempts to rectify the issue by replacing RF cables, antenna and god knows what else fails then cut your losses and get a Pioneer head unit.
My brother has been in Car Audio sales and installation for well over 30 years. Back when he started Kenwood were a leading brand of high quality equipment. He quit selling and recommending Kenwood some years ago because they had dropped the ball.
Yeah, I think they are going cheap as JVC are both one now, only reason I chose Kenwood as it has the steering wheel remote programing, I'm trying to get the original antenna, this ap971 has been strange also with my last unit around traffic lights, I posted a new thread as I need the part number as the series 2 Berlina go via the ECU which has the delay down function. When I contacted Kenwood by email, they would not respond to my question about cheaper tuners just said **** about a booster may have been bypassed. Lol. Pioneer are not that good anymore either unless you spend over a grand. Thx. I'm stuck with it now so hopefully might get it sorted or play music from the USB around town.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
We had my brother install a Pioneer double DIN mechless head unit with DAB in our Suzuki Swift in 2021. We have no problems with it, has a good sound with little distortion but then again we don't play loud bass thumping crap rap music. Can't remember off hand what model it is but for a head unit under $700 + install we are very happy with it. Just need to upgrade the original Suzuki speakers. The Pioneer unit in my VZ and the one in our Swift are both steering wheel control capable. Alpine will also have compatible models.

Last edited:

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
We had my brother install a Pioneer double DIN mechless head unit with DAB in our Suzuki Swift in 2021. We have no problems with it, has a good sound with little distortion but then again we don't play loud bass thumping crap rap music. Can't remember off hand what model it is but for a head unit under $700 + install we are very happy with it. Just need to upgrade the original Suzuki speakers. The Pioneer unit in my VZ and the one in our Swift are both steering wheel control capable. Alpine will also have compatible models.
Yes, they are with a add on, Kenwood has it built in to learn your steering remote, no need to add a module. I got hold of an original brand-new antenna, going to remove this aftermarket one and see if that is the reason, I was told the noise can come from the antenna, I also did some digging they do say if the power lines or radiation levels are greater than the radio station signal then they may interfere with FM. Who knows these days there so many things transmitting, 5G, cctv, camera at lights and inferred, they even say the power source coming off power lines can affect it like renewable power as it sends a different sound wave. Well that what I read online. Any how nice chat I just put up with it till they stop fossil fuel been sold. Lol.