Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key not working

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
My 93 VR acclaim won't start. The button for immobiliser is broken and now the car won't start. I tried sparking the starter and it turns but still won't start. I think the key isn't allowing the immobiliser to switch off so there fore the car won't start. What is the most cost free way of fixing this problem. A new key from Holden will cost around $180.
Can I just get a key from a locksmith, or is there another method?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Does the VR have the key reader on the ignition and contact point on the key? I always thought VN-VR had a separate immobiliser box with button from factory.

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Has key reader and point on key. The bloke I bought car from broke key apart. The contact point moves but still connects.

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
Yes you should be able to buy a key fob from a locksmith,
how ever if they can not get the info off of the previous key it will be a little more than the $55 it cost me last time in WA.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Has key reader and point on key. The bloke I bought car from broke key apart. The contact point moves but still connects.

Cool. The contact points are a passive circuit that works independently from the button/transponder as it's powered by the ignition barrel. Is the key currently apart?

You might be able to fiddle it to work. As Bottlefed said though if the transponder isn't functional the key can't be cloned so you'll need the codes from Holden to get another programmed and that all adds up.

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Yes the key is currently apart. The battery is not soldered to the points. Comes out easily. Could this be part of the problem. How can I get the code for the key. Do I need to contact Holden to get this?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yes the key is currently apart. The battery is not soldered to the points. Comes out easily. Could this be part of the problem. How can I get the code for the key. Do I need to contact Holden to get this?

I have a feeling in my key travels that the battery remains integral to both circuits even though it only powers one. A flat battery will still conduct.

You could try bridging the battery contacts then turn the key in the barrel and see what happens, otherwise replacing the shell and battery isn't too hard. I've done about 20 of them the oldest still going after a couple of years.

With my method I solder wires in place of the contacts on the PCB and then fold one under and one over with duct tape to make sure it all squashes together and stays there when the shell is glued back together.

Key 1.jpg

Key 2.jpg

Yes you need to contact Holden. I just took in my rego papers and license, fluffers tried to charge me $100 but accepted the $20 I offered for the 5 mins it took to dig up the numbers.

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
My key looks different to that. Only has one button to lock and unlock car. The battery sits in its slot with a bit that holds it down. No solders or wires at all.