Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key not working

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Don't think I can post pictures off my iPad.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You need to upload the pics to a provider like tiny pic, then post the image

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Just buy a cr2032 battery with the correct PCB tabs and solder that to the board, local electronics stores should carry them (don't buy the cheap ones on ebay). Make sure it's good quality and not made in china.
No point holding a battery in with tape when you can get the right part.

Make sure the contact points on the key and contact ring on the ignition barrel are clean (also make sure the single wire connected to the ring under the steering shroud is still connected)
It doesn't need the battery to start the car when it's in the ignition and contacting the points, that's only used to remotely unlock the door/disable immobiliser with the button.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just buy a cr2032 battery with the correct PCB tabs and solder that to the board, local electronics stores should carry them (don't buy the cheap ones on ebay). Make sure it's good quality and not made in china.
No point holding a battery in with tape when you can get the right part.

You should research before you post JXW. If you're going to bother with pre tinned jobbies you'll need to get them from OS anyway. I can't speak for all electronic parts shops but I can tell you JayCar don't sell the correct ones, well no-one does to be semantic, but you can use a Super NES/N64 battery with pre tinning that will suit. Nothing wrong with my method mate, tested and proven. The battery isn't 'held in' with tape, the tape just insulates and picks up the gap in the key fob. Best of all it's easily replaced when it goes flat, no more soldering required ever again.

All that aside, if you read the OP's posts you'll see his key isn't the vs-vz style, it's different with a replaceable battery.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
unless there's something wrong with the key, even if the battery is flat or removed the contact ring should power the key and once the key is turned in the barrel it should read it and disarm the system. If your desperate then leave it in the ON position for a while depending on bcm version maybe upto 1hr and see if it disarms and starts.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You should research before you post JXW. If you're going to bother with pre tinned jobbies you'll need to get them from OS anyway. I can't speak for all electronic parts shops but I can tell you JayCar don't sell the correct ones, well no-one does to be semantic, but you can use a Super NES/N64 battery with pre tinning that will suit. Nothing wrong with my method mate, tested and proven. The battery isn't 'held in' with tape, the tape just insulates and picks up the gap in the key fob. Best of all it's easily replaced when it goes flat, no more soldering required ever again.

All that aside, if you read the OP's posts you'll see his key isn't the vs-vz style, it's different with a replaceable battery.

I did do my research a while ago, you can source them locally.
Actually most electronics stores stock sfa when it comes to useful electronics these days and even asking proper electronic repair places for a particular part is useless.
Twisting and taping wires together works as well, copper to copper contact is better at conducting than solder but doesn't mean it's the best option.

Plenty in this search that are suitable (although i would suggest checking the pdf that the pic shown isn't just generic, usually next business day upto 3 day deliver so they are from au if you look at other online wholesalers and not this link)
http://au.element14.com/jsp/search/...earch&Ntt=cr2032+pcb&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

Reading the first post, it's a VR which uses that exact keyfob.

Maybe it's actually a VP or an aftermarket alarm.... if it's aftermarket then it's a whole new issue.
I was searching for fob circuit boards that look completely different (some are white, some are green, some have 1 button, some have 2, others have 2 in different places and some have 3) but buggered if i know where i've thrown them, but seeing the previous owner has massacred it then who knows what the butcher has done.

Last edited:

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
My key doesn't even have boot release. My local holden dealer wants $100 to give me the code for the key, then another $75 from locksmith to make new key.
Is there a way to bypass the immobiliser as the car is at work and at 78km from home will be way to expensive to tow!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the key needs to be screwed together the key blade is the earth fully assemble the key with all screws make sure the pin for the key reader is attached in the key properly.then try the key up both ways in the ignition

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Done tht at, still don't work!