Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key snapped in ignition - Vt Commodore

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
So my key got stuck in the ignition and locked so i could not turn it to start the car, and after an hour or two of wiggling and stuffing around it snapped off completely.

Today i went to try fix it again and managed to use a screw driver to pry out the internal barrel with the key and wafers still together, it came out fairly easily for some reason.

To start the car i removed the plug on the left hand side of the barrel under the steering column and when i plugged it in again it went to start, it would not stay on but i had my bro pull out the starter relay as i plugged in the plug and then it stayed running.

My steering was now locked, i tried to snap it but i am telling you now unless you are the hulk you are not going to snap it by your self without jacking it up or having 2 people, but i managed to jam x 3 screwdrivers inside where the barrel was and push them up on an angle that unlocked the steering wheel, so i managed to drive it home from the carpark at least.

I am not sure if the switch on the barrel broke or the barrel it self broke but after the screw driver incident i may need a whole new setup maybe even a new column, i will pull apart the switch tomorrow and check if that's broken.

here is a few pics of the barrel, does anything look broken / out of place?

3iTRUbm.jpg

XMEzldy.jpg

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
might be able to get another barrel n key set for 40 - 50 though, gumtree or wrecker maybe.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
buy a new genuine barrel or find locksmith that stocks genuine
have it coded to your original spare key or security card if you still have it, or they can get the code from your vin number but that is more complicated
have them fit it if you are not confident

BOR15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
i purchased an uncoded barrel and switch from holden. not very expensive and you get all the wafers to code it yourself.