Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key stuck in ignition and won't turn to "on" position

Hungrytoheal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hi guys,

I've been asked to fix someone's VX commodore which has the key stuck in the ignition barrel. They've turned the key one point past the steering lock, but it is now completely stuck - I can't turn it forward to the "ON" position to release the barrel (with the allen key inside the hole), and I can't turn it back to the keyless position to remove the key.

Things I've tried:
Shaking and jiggling the key whilst trying to turn it and giving it pushing and pulling forces.
Giving the key/barrel a love-tap with the hammer.
Spraying lubricant inside the barrel.

Anyone have any bright ideas? Will a locksmith be able to fix this for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Hello,

You said the key was forcefully pushed past the steering lock? Usually if the steering wheel is in a certain position it will lock the key in. Is the steering still locked? If it is try releasing the tension on it and trying the key again.

If getting desperate you could try removing the plastic part of the fob until just the metal key is left and using vice grips to gently wiggle the key around to give you a better grip. Try pushing it in then wiggling as well.

Your last resort would have to be taking apart the steering assembly or replacing the entire lock.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Yep as daniel said, the key cannot be removed when its in any position other than off. Try turning the steering wheel left to right to 'unload' it whilst trying to turn the key back and forth, jiggle the key in and out also if necessary

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Barrel is knackered. Common issue. Good luck removing the key is all I can say. Easiest option is to get a locksmith out to replace the barrel.

Hungrytoheal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks for the replies.

Steering lock isn't on. I've tried turning the wheel while wiggling the key. No luck.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Wraith is on the money then...stuffed barrel

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Very common issue on the Holdens. Wife got stuck out at the shops when our barrel played up on our VX. Luckily bit of silicon spray and it was OK. Still got it replaced the next day though.

Veex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina S2
Silicon spray you reckon? The other option I’ve heard is graphite powder, from a pencil or whatever, the only thing is the sprays can be static and attract junk & dust. But as you said if you replace it anyway..

Did it ever play up again, & did you need to get anything recoded?

Very common issue on the Holdens. Wife got stuck out at the shops when our barrel played up on our VX. Luckily bit of silicon spray and it was OK. Still got it replaced the next day though.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Touch wood hasn't needed replacing since. The locksmith rekeyed the barrel to my key. The transponder is actually the metal strip around the key and isn't a part of the barrel itself.

Seanie Mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore s2
So recently our air bag light has come on and stays on. Today the wife went out to the car turnt it on, realised the gate weren’t open, so she turnt it back to the reds as the air bag light sounded. She then tried to turn it back on but it doesn’t move. Not off or on, and it won’t come out . It was stuck. So question is do I need a new barrel or is this something to do with a safety mechanism with the air bag ?