Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key turns, Lights come on (engine etc) wont crank at all. went from...

Crazykitten

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Commodore
OK. So. Ive had issues with the car for a while now, running extremely rough, not starting at all etc, replaced the starter motor, cam angle sensor, crank angle sensor, all plugs and leads, coilpack, fuel filter. was trying to start her up, and was cranking but no luck. until now, when you turn the key nothing happens. dashlights come on etc but cant put the window up (electric windows) no central locking, key wont lock/unlock the vehicle... nothing wrong with the cars battery, not sure what could be going on at this point.

any ideas and suggestions would really help.

-(v6)98 VT ecotec Berlina-

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sounds like BCM (Body Control Module) problem. Sometimes disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes can reset the BCM, it's worth a shot. You will need the radio PIN after you reconnect the battery

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Sounds like BCM (Body Control Module) problem. Sometimes disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes can reset the BCM, it's worth a shot. You will need the radio PIN after you reconnect the battery

That or the key isn't making proper contact with the ignition ring or maybe keys ####ed.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
yeah that sounds like a key issue (security/immobilizer...BCM) the barrel may have an issue with charging the key. sounds like it (key) has gone flat over time- to the point where the car doesnt recognise it, and is preventing the car from starting

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
yeah that sounds like a key issue (security/immobilizer...BCM) the barrel may have an issue with charging the key. sounds like it (key) has gone flat over time- to the point where the car doesnt recognise it, and is preventing the car from starting

Not picking, it's been covered plenty of times before in other threads.
The keyfob is not charged by the car at all, it's a non-rechargeable long life lithium button cell.
The battery is only there for remote locking/unlocking, has nothing to do with the vats when the key is in the ignition (it will still disable the security even if you removed the battery so long as it contacts the barrel and ring).

But as above, seeing the window won't move along the other issues sounds like the BCM itself has issues
Checked all fuses? possible bad grounds in the wiring, a scan tool and looking for BCM faults would be handy.

Last edited:

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
The keyfob is not charged by the car at all, it's a non-rechargeable long life lithium button cell.
The battery is only there for remote locking/unlocking, has nothing to do with the vats when the key is in the ignition (it will still disable the security even if you removed the battery so long as it contacts the barrel and ring).

But as above, seeing the window won't move along the other issues sounds like the BCM itself has issues
Checked all fuses? possible bad grounds in the wiring, a scan tool and looking for BCM faults would be handy.

Hi im a friend of crazykitten. I have checked for computer codes with tunerpro RT and nothing comes up as a fault. Tho even when car did run after i changed crank sensor it had engine light flashing and no fault codes?? she got a brand new key fob last night as i thought it could be imobilizer problem with flat battery in key?. but im thinking BCM failed? if so do we need to just get a new BCM, ECU and ignition barrel with programmed key to that BCM, ECU?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi im a friend of crazykitten. I have checked for computer codes with tunerpro RT and nothing comes up as a fault. Tho even when car did run after i changed crank sensor it had engine light flashing and no fault codes?? she got a brand new key fob last night as i thought it could be imobilizer problem with flat battery in key?. but im thinking BCM failed? if so do we need to just get a new BCM, ECU and ignition barrel with programmed key to that BCM, ECU?

You could get all those things (no need to replace the barrel though just change the key heads) or you could just get a BCM and have it linked to the ECU. Have you tried resetting the BCM as I suggested earlier?

theghostoftime1978

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt berlina series 1 V6
You could get all those things (no need to replace the barrel though just change the key heads) or you could just get a BCM and have it linked to the ECU. Have you tried resetting the BCM as I suggested earlier?

no we haven't, might give that a go and see if she resets. So just disconnect battery?, i was reading somewhere that if its something to do with the anti thief security that you have to put assessories to on and leave it in on position for 2 hours till red light goes out? and that should reset the anti thief system or something along those lines...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The key issue is easy to rule out, when it happens (turn the key to reds and no start) is the VATS LED flashing?

Also the inhibitor switch in auto's can cause this too. You can try jiggling the stick or dropping it into neutral and try to start.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International

Ahhh fair enough. That wasnt in any of the threads ive glimpsed at, but i havnt had the issue myself so i havnt actively researched and read all the posts front to back. Good to know tho. Cheers