Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kid puked on seat

luke.grayham

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman S/C
My daughter threw up all through the back of my vx with cloth seats. Didn't realise as it was behind the car seat and didn't see how much got in the floor. Anyways. What's the best way to clean it? And what isn't going to destroy my seat and carpet any more than the knowledge that vomit was there.

Thanks

wayneoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina
id get that seat out the car ASAP and get whats ever left in the car mopped up. . .it will stink if you leave it any sort of time and especially if its hot out the smell gets worse. maybe a steamer and some patience ...... good luck

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
At least the seats easy, under the front of the bottom half is 2 release levers (one each side) pull them and lift up.
Backs you'll need to undo the bolts and slide up.
Mix up some oxiclean/di-san(aldi) or the cheaper woolies home brand stuff (anything with the main ingredient sodium percarbonate) into a bucket of warm water and scrub that in lightly, hose off and let them dry before reinstalling.

carpet.... well the same mix, scrub it in (lightly once again and not to much water as you don't want to wash in into the underlay felt) and use a wet/dry vac to get it all out (removing the carpet is about a 3 hour job and probably longer without removing the heater/ac box which is a **** of a job at the best of times and requires the ac to be degassed/regassed)

skip the degreaser part

Last edited by a moderator:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Get one of those carpet cleaners you can hire from the supermarket.....Coles or Woolworths
and some chemicals to go with it.
They have a small upholstery wand, which makes it easier to do small jobs.

In the mean time, use some 'Nilodor'. It really good at getting rid of the stinkys.
We used it in the aircraft at QANTAS when the passengers would barf everywhere.
nilodor.jpg

luke.grayham

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman S/C
Thanks guys. Not as easy a job as I thought haha. Are the seats easy to put back in? Never taken these ones out before. She'll have a bag strapped to her face from now on!

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Thanks guys. Not as easy a job as I thought haha. Are the seats easy to put back in? Never taken these ones out before. She'll have a bag strapped to her face from now on!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Get a bag of bi-carb soda and spread a fair bit of it around it around the area. Leave it for at least a day. Won't clean it up, but it will soak up the smell really well.

Alternative to the carpet cleaner is to see if a coin operated car wash has an upholstery cleaner.

luke.grayham

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman S/C
So I'm guessing that the carpet shampoo/upholstery cleaner stuff from super cheap and so on isn't being mentioned for a reason?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If it's that foamy stuff in the spray cans you are referring to, I wouldn't bother.

You need something like those carpet cleaners, commonly called "steam cleaners".
But actually that's the wrong name. They don't use steam at all they use hot water.
The proper name is for it is "Hot Water Extraction".
You really need something like this to be able to get deep into the seat and suck out the yuckies.

That carpet cleaner in the can wont get right into the fabric and the foam underneath.
They are ok for surface stains but I wouldn't use it for vomit, especially if it's penetrated through the fabric and into the foam.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Only reason I mentioned the stuff above is it's also used as a nappy cleaner and pre-soak for clothing with stains, costs $2-$3 for a big container for the cheaper versions from aldi/woolies, the expensive stuff you're just paying for a brand with the same base component.
What isn't used has plenty of other uses around the house apart from sitting in the laundry.