Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kid puked on seat

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I have had a bit of experience with removing smells from cars, tend to do an interior detail once a week at least.

To get the best result what I would do is remove all seats and carpet as it may be under the carpet and the only way to be sure is to take it all out.

Then properly shampoo the carpet and seats, Godfreys has an awesome little machine that pays for itself, the Bissel little green machine, a few hundred but money well spent. One word of warning it is small so will take a long time, but it works.

Also before this get some commercial grade carpet shampoo from the same shop, and they also sell a little bottle of awesomeness called sensation that neutralises smells, and other stuff, use it as a pre soak.

Keep shampooing it until its fully clean, then let it dry in the sun, and make sure its fully dry before you put it back in.
Then you have the door trims, maybe headlining, plastics, etc, it could have gotten everywhere. Use the same products on soft furnishings, and on any hard plastics (including under the carpet) steam cleaning is the best, the cheap ALDI ones aren't too bad but it will take a while again.

This will work to properly remove and clean the smell out of your car, it will take a lot longer then commercial grade equipment but it works.

I haven't cleaned vomit before, but I have cleaned bad milk stains out of hot cars which is similar, that smell is horrendous. I used these products and shampooed the carpet, seats, etc without taking the carpet out as that would have cost the customer heaps more, but it turned out pretty good, high 90% removal but if I could have removed the carpet I probably would have got rid of it 100%

Just some tips that you might find useful.

And one last thing, if you do have access to a steam cleaner, then try to clean out the air vents with it, just spray that steam all the way around in there.
The vents will accumulate tons of smells especially if you were using the air con on recirc and steaming them kills most of that smell.
Also replace your air con filter.
If none of this works find someone who has an ozone generator and knows how to use it (some detailers have them) and get them to remove all remaining smells that way.

Last edited:
D

devilly

dry mess you use vacuum cleaner,wet mess you use shampoo machine,get a spray bottle and use 20% disinfection or dettol and 80% water spray the whole area,then 40% white vinger and 60% water spray area,then wait and 1hr then use shampoo machine.and the vinger acts as and anti foamer and odor remover.domestic,commercial and industrial cleaner i have done them all.i invested in a 3 in 1 machine ,dry and wet vacuum cleaner for the anti foam you put in them, just use white vinger heaps cheap and works great. :) good luck hope u get it sorted.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I remember in another car (leather interior) someone else's small child in a booster seat in the rear, began to pee and poop the booster seat (despite asking her many times before we left the house, "do you need to go? Are you sure??"), quite horrifically & violently. All the while, staring at me in the rear view mirror and smiling.

Took the booster seat out and left it in the carpark, got the mother of the child to buy a new seat to replace the defiled booster seat. She may have been small, but she ravaged that fabric booster seat with a fury and cacophony of noise that left us both open mouthed in awe and fear.

For getting rid of the eye watering smell and leftovers, I sat a tray of baking soda in the footwell overnight to absorb residual bad smells. It worked quite well. Being leather, it was easy enough to wipe down with leather cleaner, etc.

I found that Autoglym sells an Air Conditioner Sanitizer cartridge- a small aerosol you sit inside the car, close all the doors and windows, depress the nozzle and let it fill up the interior of the car while the AC is running and set to recirculate. It sanitizes the AC and heater system, and disinfects the hard surfaces of the interior and places you can't get to, with the mist. Air the car out for 20 minutes afterwards. Costs around $15 and the active ingredient is limonene. Good final step once you've done what you can with fabric cleaning.