Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

King springs sagging?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hi guys I have a 2007 ssv sedan with super low king springs in the rear and over the last year or so it seems as though the springs have gone soft or something it’s always bottoming out in the rear when passengers are in the back seat which never used to happen when I first got the car any ideas?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slug powered VZ, a VE Calais & your mum.
Funny you say this. I also have Kings and after having the car off the road for 6mths or so, reverse down the drive as has been done for years and a hard hit off the curb happens. We looked at each other and said WTF?

The back looks lower too.

I have been thinking I’m going crazy.
To do this isn’t a slight sag either.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Was reading on a NZ Holden buy sell swap page on Facebook this morning a discussion about king springs sagging so it seems to be a thing apparently

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Sort of unrelated but also related, I had a CJ Lancer as a daily years ago and put a set of King springs in that and after about a year it was also got noticeably lower and bouncy. This was years ago though, not recent.

lmoengnr

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Kings are popular because they're cheaper, and you get what you pay for.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Funny you say this. I also have Kings and after having the car off the road for 6mths or so, reverse down the drive as has been done for years and a hard hit off the curb happens. We looked at each other and said WTF?

The back looks lower too.

I have been thinking I’m going crazy.
To do this isn’t a slight sag either.
Earth might of moved, :)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I've had Pedder's springs Put in my vs with air bags for towing and now I have Kings and still got kings as Pedder's were crap they sagged out more than kings even with air bags..

immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
We had Dobi springs in our old VS for years and never had an issue that I was aware off.

If the rear is bouncy then I would be looking at the shocks in the first instance.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Rear isn’t bouncy, when ya do the push test on the rear it comes straight back up no bouncing, the suspension (I’m picking springs) has gone soft over time just seems to wanna bottom out all the time which it never used to

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Jumping on the car to test shocks doesn’t work. It’ll tell you if they’re totally toast but that’s about it. If you’re not sure if they’ve been replaced in the past couple of years, start with the shocks.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Jumping on the car to test shocks doesn’t work. It’ll tell you if they’re totally toast but that’s about it. If you’re not sure if they’ve been replaced in the past couple of years, start with the shocks.
I'll vouch for that i had my car in to 2 places to get the rear shocks tested the first place said they needed to be replaced the second place said no they are still good (by doing the push test) went ahead and changed them they turned out to be the original shocks from when the car was made and were stuffed. replacing them raised the car up by a good 50 mm.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
I'd start with shocks over springs, few decent brands to choose from I'd use Sachs or KYB

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I'd start with shocks over springs, few decent brands to choose from I'd use Sachs or KYB
I went to the local suspension place and he recommended ultimas over sachs as he said that he had a few people complaining about the sachs
so i put the ultimas in my car seem to be good so far and i just did just over 400kms on them on some really crap roads and they performed as good as the original shocks did and they have a 3 year warranty and cost less than half the price of the sachs or kybs.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
An update on this in case anyone was interested I replaced both springs and shocks with new dobi super lows and Monroe gt sports shocks and it made a huge improvement to the way the car drives and handles while still retaining that lowered stance

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
An update on this in case anyone was interested I replaced both springs and shocks with new dobi super lows and Monroe gt sports shocks and it made a huge improvement to the way the car drives and handles while still retaining that lowered stance
What was the ballpark cost?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// MK5 GTi//
I had a set of Kings that sagged. Annoyingly they were in my Cruiser, so less than desirable.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I had a set of Kings that sagged. Annoyingly they were in my Cruiser, so less than desirable.
Wasn’t sure whether the issue was the springs or the shocks so I just replaced both to make sure I fixed it