Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

kingflea

K

kingflea

I have recently bought my first holden commodore and i am currently in the process of changing the sump gasket. Can any one tell me how to lift the engine with a chain(where do i put it?) without blocking the way of the sump?
Please help, as i am getting extreamly frustrated!!!

perkins

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT VH ADP
are you using a proper block and tackle with a hook connected to it? If you are all you need to do is bolt another length of chain diagonally across the top of the motor (front right corner to left rear corner or vice-versa) then hook the block and tackle on to this and lift away. You shouldn't be looping the chain around to motor - not only does it make access to the sump impossible but there's nothing to really stop it from slipping thru the chain.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
on a 202 I normally do a bolt into the head on #1 inlet port and then at the back into the coil mounting bolt hole. Put a bolt into the chain so the load is even on the engine when you lift and the chain wont slip in the hook.

Make sure you you take out your engine mount bolts and when you jack up the engine place some small blcoks of wood (hard wood) between the crossmember & the engine mounts just incase your blcok & tackle or engine crane fails.
You dont want a hand between the sump and the cross member if that happens
cheers
Scott