Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kitchen Knives

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i use wiltshire and henkels. The Wiltshire are only good for scraping paint. If you try cutting carrots with them the carrots break rather than cut cos the blades are so thick.

HVXII

AWI11
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Acclaim storm grey
Yes I use mundial at work (chef) love it holds it edge good

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Any suggestions for cutlery?? Not the shitty crap stuff you get from target!

Reaper

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

Reaper

try the ones from K Mart lol

last set of cutlery we got was a wedding present

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Clubsport R8 - Vespers Blue
I use Shun knives, I was lucky and got a set for christmas :) They're definetly not cheap but they're soooo worth the money. They stay sharp for ages, the blade is fairly thinner than most other brands and they're light and comfortable. And the 'damascus' pattern on them looks pretty cool, its from the manufacturing process, the steel is folded around 50 or so times. They're made by KAI Corporation, supposedly the modern incarnation of samurai sword makers. I use my knives all day everyday at work (I'm a chef) and it never gets uncomfortable. I've had Victorinox, Mundial and Arcos knives and out of all of them, Shun shits all over them :) but thats just my opinion.

Basic 20cm chefs knife goes for over $200

A couple of hints to keeping knives sharp and taken care of... don't put them through the dishwasher, and after cutting up lemons/tomatoes etc (anything with acid in it)... rinse it straight away or it will discolour the steel... and don't let any stupid little dishies offer to wash it for you or they'll drop it! :)

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Clubsport R8 - Vespers Blue

Reaper

Maxwell & Williams are good, you can get them in any homewares shop... but for steak knives I'd recommend Victorinox steakies.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
My Wifes a Chef and has a full set of Furi and a set of Globals for using at work. Neither of those are a really high end knife but they do the job. Most aprentices use Mundials because they are cheap and you can smash them around and sharpen them roughly and it doesn't matter, they are good for using at home too for the same reasons, my dad has a set of those for example at home, my wife says they are rubbish when she goes and uses them much to the dismay of my dad that loves them :p

My wifes getting a Misono UX10 for her main knife soon which is a step up from either the Furi or Globals, since shes been a chef for ages now she deserves a good knife I reckon. There are better knives around than the Misono (alot of them are not stainless however) but for a Chef that's bashing them around all day at work it's will be as good as she's ever going to need. There's dozens of good knife brands so you need to research this kind of thing a fair bit before you buy one. Shun as mentioned above are a much better knife than globals for example but not as well known, Hattori etc there's tons of good knives around, but really I think a hard stainless knife is the go since you don't have to worry about it as much and the UX-10 is about as good as it gets in stainless

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
Thanks for the replies.. So I can get:

$345..Global Synergy 7 Piece Knife Block Set contains:

* 8cm Paring Knife.
* 11cm Utility Knife.
* 13cm Cook’s Knife.
* 14cm Vegetable Knife.
* 20cm Cook’s Knife.
* 22cm Bread Knife.
* Includes Global Ceramic Water Sharpener valued at $60.00
* Cutlery Storage Block.
* Made in Japan

$425..Wusthof Trident Ikon Essential 6pc Block Set Features:

* 9cm Paring Knife
* 20cm Carving Knife
* 18cm Carving Fork
* 20cm Cooks Knife
* 23cm Honing steel
* Beechwood Block
* Made in Germany

Edit: Or...

$299...Arcos 9pc Blockset
Arcos Cooks 21cm
Arcos Carving 21cm
Arcos Utility 16cm
Arcos Paring 10cm
Arcos Bread 20cm
Arcos Steel 23cm
Arcos Carving Fork 16cm
Arcos Kitchen Scissor
Country of Origin: Spain

But wait, theres more. :yeah: :yeah:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Most of the good knives are Japanese brands but the Euro ones are good too I will post some pictures up. This is the UX-10. You can get it in a few sizes and both shapes

258333872_o.jpg

z053.jpg