Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'KM's left until empty' accuracy?

ashtray1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Atomic Green w/ 20" Supersports
I have been told by NRMA that the DTE on Holdens and Fords are inaccurate once they go below the 1/4 to empty line. Also not to run the tank realy low as you get all the crap at the bottom of the tank going into the engine.

T

TILT

i recently ran out of fuel when it was telling me that i had "42kms to empty"..... so now i just make sure i never drive with less than a quarter tank.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
I drove from Dowerin to Cunderdin (in country WA, about a 60km trip) and my DTE said 0km left about half way (light was on whole time) and I still did the next 30km fine. I think the accuracy depends on the driving your doing, mine is more accurate doing country driving than city driving.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
ashtray1 said:
I have been told by NRMA that the DTE on Holdens and Fords are inaccurate once they go below the 1/4 to empty line. Also not to run the tank realy low as you get all the crap at the bottom of the tank going into the engine.

Exactly.. Why the hell would you run your tank that empty? I know people who live with their tanks on empty, filling up just enough at any point in time..

If you're worried about the prices, fill up on Tuesdays and maybe keep topping it up. I never ever let my petrol tank get below the quarter mark.. All the sludge and **** at the bottom can't be good for your car..

ashtray1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Atomic Green w/ 20" Supersports
as i had mentioned before, it doesn't do your engine much good in the long run

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
ashtray1 said:

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that...It's the same with most car's.

If you keep your car above half not only does it seem cheaper to fill, you will never run out of fuel :D

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
mmm for me and the wags (and it is only MY opinion)

I run it to just under a quarter. That way you have gotten rid of most of the fuel, yes fills cost more, BUT! You do it less often and you have pretty much a full tank of fresh fuel.

Repeat previous statement until Hydrogen fuel cell commodores exist. :D

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
my VN DTE is pretty spot on, said i had 2km left, an it was gettin sluggy as hell, would barely move lol

Cheers
MaT

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Shounak said:
Exactly.. Why the hell would you run your tank that empty? I know people who live with their tanks on empty, filling up just enough at any point in time..

If you're worried about the prices, fill up on Tuesdays and maybe keep topping it up. I never ever let my petrol tank get below the quarter mark.. All the sludge and **** at the bottom can't be good for your car..
mmm,Convienient for some,not all commodores are duel fuel.I would avoid running my car emty,but as far as NEVER falling below the quater mark,it happens to us all once in a while.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
beeks said:
mmm,Convienient for some,not all commodores are duel fuel.I would avoid running my car emty,but as far as NEVER falling below the quater mark,it happens to us all once in a while.

Yeah.. Before the Commodore I used to drive a Corolla everywhere.. And a Statesman..

I never let the tank get below 1/4.. Occasionally it did get below, but I'd keep an eye on it..

I don't understand why some people regularly run their car til the fuel light comes on or the guage gets below empty..