Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

kms too high for a vx ss?

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
hey guys,

been trying to get back into an ss for quite a while now and have had someone offer me a swap for my wrx. only thing im iffy on is it has 235,000 km on it. has no mods at all and was owned by a guy who used to drive his family around in it etc. should I be worried about km that high? i dont wanna get it and start doing a few things to it then the engine shits itself.

i know engines can last a long time if looked after properly etc, but would this motor be getting close to rebuild time?

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
As with anything, does it have service history? If none at all be wary of it. Just check things like bushes/shocks etc that would wear with high kms (and if worn use it as a bargaining piece to get him to throw money your way as well). 235k is fine if its been looked after etc imo. But be wary of future resale as well. How long do you plan on keeping it? How many kms you gonna do etc. Keep it for a few years and do say 35,000km in it and its then gonna have 270,000 on it, which will drastically reduce your resale.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
hey guys,

been trying to get back into an ss for quite a while now and have had someone offer me a swap for my wrx. only thing im iffy on is it has 235,000 km on it. has no mods at all and was owned by a guy who used to drive his family around in it etc. should I be worried about km that high? i dont wanna get it and start doing a few things to it then the engine shits itself.

i know engines can last a long time if looked after properly etc, but would this motor be getting close to rebuild time?
I would get it checked over , before I parted with the readys . But for a V8 it should be OK , as it was driven as a family car .

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Agreed with above, if that car has full service history was babied and was regularly cleaned then thats better than a car with 120k no service history and mould growing on old food stuck to the carpet.

hsvman2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vy
i got a 2004 vy ses 2 and its got 335 on it and she run,s good

blutonium

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
mmm that many on a 4cyl then yea id be worried but for a v8 should be fine, just like everyone said get it looked over before parting with your hard earned

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
Thanks for your input guys, apparently he doesn't have a service history for it so at this point I think I might just hold out to try and sell my car for a little longer. Then the high km's can be avoided.